Party

Hajime leaned back against his chair, holding a drink in his hand and surveying the dim room. Chiaki has dozed off on his shoulder, exhausted from the celebration. Ibuki and Hiyoko decided to have a party and put on a performance. Loud music blared and strobe lights of all colors flashed and swirled, dizzying anyone that looked at them for too long.

Hajime glanced away from the lively partying of his peers to the dark corner of the room where Nagito sat. The pale boy had sat down on the floor, leaning his head against the wall and closing his eyes. Hajime wondered if he was asleep- the gentle slope of Nagito's shoulders rose up and down as he breathed.

"You should go talk to him," a soft, gentle voice said.

Startled, Hajime looked down. Chiaki stared up at him with big eyes, hair ruffled from her nap.

"I don't think he's even awake,"

"He's awake. He always does that at parties, trust me. I don't think anyone could even sleep through Ibuki's music," she smiled slightly.

Hajime ignored her, flustered. He didn't want to talk to Nagito. That would be... weird.

"He's lonely, Hajime. The only reason he's even at this party was so the rest could make sure that he wasn't planning to kill someone. He's sweet once you get to know him,"

Chiaki was the only one that really talked to Nagito. The rest just ignored him as if he was a stray cat. Chiaki and Nagito would go out at night to the beach sometimes, talking about who knows what.

"He probably hates me. It'd be a waste of time,"

"He doesn't hate you. He thinks you hate him,"

"Wh- What? Why would I hate him?" Hajime stared down at Chiaki, utterly bewildered.

"Despair Disease. Remember? He pretty much confessed his love to you and you just left,"

     "We've been over this! He did not confess his love to me! He told me to go away. So I did,"

     "He had the Liar's Disease. Everything he said had the opposite meaning, Hajime. Just go talk to him,"

"Why won't you talk to him instead?"

"I'm watching my girlfriend's performance,"

"Chiaki- you literally- you literally fell asleep,"

Chiaki smiled slightly. "Yeah, that's why I'm gonna watch it now. Go talk to him,"

She stared at him expectantly. Hajime let out a heavy sigh and slowly stood up. "I hate you," he muttered to Chiaki under his breath as he slowly walked to the corner of the room.

Hajime stood in front of Nagito. What was he supposed to do? He debated turning around and going back to his comfortable seat next to Chiaki at the snack table, but was interrupted.

"I heard you and Chiaki talking," Nagito had one eye open and a small grin on his face. His bright white eyelashes contrasted with the dark circles under his eyes. He pushed himself off of the wall, leaning closer and looking up at Hajime.

"W-What? How?" How could've he heard them over the music? They were a good five yards away. Did he somehow have really good hearing? Did he-

"Nah, I'm just kidding. The music's too loud," he tilted his head, like a puppy. "You don't have to talk to me, y'know. I know Chiaki made you,"

"H-How do you-"

"You were arguing,"

"No we wer-"