Chapter One: Rescuing Yiren

Lü Buwei strode across the hard stone bricks of the palace, his eyes fastened on the man seated across the room. Though just a merchant, Lü had a bold plan for the future and wasn't going to be stopped by some bothersome king. He stopped at the foot of the Zhao king's throne and knelt, feigning respect. At the king's nod, he rose to his feet.

        "You requested an audience." The king looked bored.

        "Yes, sir."

        "Well, I don't have much time, what is it?"

        Lü bowed his head, and then looked up, meeting the king's stare. The king gave a small, impatient nod.

        "Qin Prince Yiren," Lü started. "He is being held here, yes?"

        "He is. Will that be all?" The king started to raise a dismissive hand, but Lü spoke quickly.

        "Release him."

        The king paused and stared at Lü, lowering his hand onto the arm of his throne. "What?"

        "Release him. He is only here so that your state is not attacked by the Qin."

        The king narrowed his eyes. "The Qin and the Zhao have an alliance. You, merchant, have you come to my court to counsel me?"

        "I come not to counsel you. I am here to offer advice. Release Master Yiren, for the Qin believe your state a cowardly one to hold such a safeguard."

        "How do you know this? Where do your loyalties lie, merchant? Who are you?"

        Lü fiddled with his robes. "I am Lü Buwei, from Han. I know of Qin's opinion because the my state believes yours cowardly as well, to keep a foreign prince in your court only to assure the security of an alliance."

        "So you are not here to counsel me, you are here to insult me. What is your intent, Lü Buwei?"

        "I wouldn't dare insult such a powerful king. I just have advice for your strong court. The Zhao are more powerful than the Qin, sir. You do not need Gōngzǐ Yìrén at your court. If the Qin break their promise and attack, I am sure that your state will overcome them."

        The king scrutinized Lü's face. "Why are you telling me this?"

        "There's a special... gift... that runs in my family. We can see potential at its very roots. I had a dream a few weeks ago that the Zhao state would control all of Zhongguo. You will be renowned all throughout the Middle Kingdom, sir! But not if you keep Master Yiren at your court."

        "Why? Will he not keep our state safe until we become the rulers of all?"

        "That's what I thought originally as well. But think how he could be taken advantage of. Though he is comfortable, anyone could sway him to their side. He could provide inside information, or even stage a coup. Master Yiren must be removed from your court, sir."

        The king looked surprised. "He is a spy? What should I do then, have him executed?" 

        Lü Buwei smirked. The Zhao king was practically eating out of his hand, lapping up all the false praise and "ruling Zhongguo" crap. Now Lü was in control of Prince Yiren's life. Before making Yiren king, he would have to assure that the boy was less of an idiot than this king.

        "No, sir. Do not have him executed or the Qin will have no reason to keep the truce."

        "Earlier you said that my state is more powerful than the Qin. Have you been lying to me, Lü Buwei? Are you like every other of your class?"

        "I do not lie, sir. And though I am rich, you may ask any of my customers and they will gladly tell you they were pleased with my prices. Most merchants could not promise you that. However, it is easier to take the Qin by surprise when you attack them. If they are already angry, you will not have any advantage."

        "Yes, okay. So what do I do with the prince?"

        Lü tried to look like he was thinking. "Maybe... You mentioned a brilliant idea earlier. As you said, you could place him in my custody. I can keep him safe and far from the court."

         "That was my idea?" The king raised a confused eyebrow.

        "Of course, sir! Do you not remember sharing such a clever option? You are truly an adept king. Guards! Is your king not the smartest in all of Zhongguo?"

        The two guards standing by the doors looked up, startled. Just as Lü Buwei suspected, they hadn't been paying attention. Even if they had, contradicting Lü's question would not be wise, and the guards knew this. They both stuttered out their emphatic agreement.

        "Well..." the king started modestly. "I suppose that was a good idea. Guards, retrieve Gōngzǐ Yìrén!"

        The guards pushed open the heavy doors to the chamber and slipped out, returning several minutes later with a young man dressed in black.

        "Prince Yiren! It's a pleasure to meet you," Lü exclaimed, bowing.

        The prince cocked his head. "Erm... Nice to meet you too." He turned to the king. "Who is this?"

        "Lü Buwei," the king said with a flourish, standing up. "He is going to take you away from my court for a while. Consider it a little trip." He winked at Lü. 

        Lu plastered a fake grin on his face. "Well, we better get going! Goodbye, my king." He bowed to the king, then grabbed Yiren's arm and tugged him out of the room.