Dragon

Jaer

The woman who I had first met when coming to this place was now leading me through the stone halls of what I guessed was a castle of some kind. She held me by my arm as we made our way to... wherever she was taking me. She had an energetic stride and a bright smile on her face that was really infectious.

It always confused me, why people are in such a hurry to get places, just a nice walking pace, not this speedwalk, it seemed even back in medieval times people were hasty in their comings and goings. Though this woman in particular didn't seem like the kind to sit idle or waste unnecessary time walking when sprinting would get the job done a little bit faster.

She kept a constant monologue, however, seeming to be rehearsing something to herself, an argument of sorts I would assume. Her pace slowed as we approached a large pair of doors embossed with gold leaf and colored glass, or gems, probably gems.

I thought we were going in through the main doors, but she turned left a few meters before and we entered a side-corridor instead. When we had walked a decent length, she stopped and faced me. Her eyes were a gorgeous hue, like pale ice that had shattered, revealing the cold blue water beneath.

"Listen carefully," she said, stepping closer to me, she was shorter than me by a whole ten centimeters, so she had to look up to look me in the eyes. "The king is not quick to anger, but speaking out of turn, or not giving respect where respect is due is a sure way to rouse him." We were very close, and I was starting to get uncomfortable.

"When we meet with my father, you will wait until you are spoken to, or I make any gesture to allow you to, also, do not approach him, he will see it as an act of aggression, and that always ends in death, the offenders death to be specific." I gulped and remembered all the reasons why most of Earth didn't have kings anymore. I repeated the rules in my mind; only spoke when spoken to, no handshakes, if I violate either, death and I may share a drink sooner than I like.

"I think I understand, uhh..." It just occurred to me that I knew neither her name, nor what to call her, and it felt really hot in this corridor, I wiped the back of my hand across my forehead to dispel the droplets accumulating there.

She smiled at me and said, "you can call me Avenly when no one else is around, or if we are with my sisters, but around others refer to me as 'my lady,' it will be best, and cause less rumors to fly around about my new, strangely dressed companion." she smiled at me again, it was very disconcerting, I felt like she was trying far too hard to put me at ease, and while her smile never faltered, it looked far too rigid to be real. After a few confusing turns, we finally arrived at a hallway larger than the rest, and actually guarded at that, and by guards in full plate mail.

One of the guards made as if to bar our way, but instead slipped into the room on the other side. Avenly stopped us just within the center of the guards, who seemed much more relaxed now that they were in a superior position to deal with, if not Avenly, then definitely me. The knight appeared again from out of the room behind the door and motioned us inside.

Once we were in the room, the knight closed the door behind us, and locked the door, that could not be good. Avenly gave a deep curtsy, and I followed her lead as I bowed to a very large figure in a chair near the fireplace set in the wall. The figure had a circle of gold on his head in the form of finely crafted wings, the tips joining together around a pale diamond. It seemed an awfully small thing of such a large man's head.

"Daughter," saud the king wearily, "you bring me much grief, it seems, wherever you are in the kingdom." he didn't look at Avenly, only at that fire, it was incredibly creepy. Avenly didn't look angry, only... dejected. It almost seemed like this was normal for the king, this verbal abuse of Avenly. It seemed she wasn't the favored daughter, not by far. For some reason this made me angry, even though it was Avenly who was responsible for bringing me to whenever- or wherever- this was.