Chapter 52

Carlos Diego. What was he doing here?
He walked past me and stood towering over me, facing Nick.
"M-Mister Diego"
"Nick... if I see you anywhere near her again, you wouldn't like me anymore."
Anymore? Did they know each other?
"Y-yes Sir. I'm sorry Renée.", Nick trembled with fear. He literally ran out.
"Are you okay?", Carlos cupped her face in his hands.
"Yes" She lied and tried to hide the bruises on my wrist.
"Do you know Nick?", she asked the question upmost on her mind.
"Yes, he works for me."
"I can't say I'm surprised. Amid works for you too."
He sighed. This wasn't the impression he wanted her to have about him.

He knew that was his best friend's wife but he had fallen for her. Her beauty, charming African accent, innocence, intelligence... she was everything he ever wanted. At the beginning, he just wanted to have her in his bed. I mean who wouldn't, look at her! But now he can say that he is totally whipped.
After her divorce, she'll be a free woman again and he purposed in his heart that he was going to win her over.

He took her to the living area. They met Ava on their way.
"Ava"
"Renée" They hugged
"What's wrong? You took too long so I was coming to get you."
Then she noticed Carlos.
"Mr. Diego... Renée, what's he doing with you?"
Ava noticed her tear stained face.
"Did he hurt you?"
"....." Renée's voice betrayed her.
"You'd better have a good explanation for this!" Ava yelled at Carlos.
"Let's get her home first." Carlos advised

When they got to the apartment, Ava made her a cup of hot chocolate. Carlos bid them and left almost immediately they got to the apartment. Ava sat next to her as Renée recounted the events to her.
She was dumbfounded. No, she was shaken up. This was the second time someone used her faith to deceive her.
The first time was with Amid. She wept every time she relived the feeling his touch; she'd scrubbed her body till she felt rid of those painful memories. But she never regretted it. It brought with it, though painful, her bundle of joy- Renata.
And now, Nick. How could she be deceived twice. She could swear the man was sincere when the man approached her one Sunday after service to ask about Renée. She even introduced the two. She felt horrible.
"Renée, I'm so sorry. It's all my fault."
"No, Ava. You were just looking out for me and I love you for that."
The two sisters hugged and sobbed in each other's arms. They were their very own pillars of strength. Iron sharpens iron, they say.

*.           *.           *.            *.           *.            *.           *.    
Her phone kept buzzing as they ate their breakfast.
"Who's it?", Ava inquired
"Jeremy"
"Oh. Have you turned in the document?"
She could only nod.
"Is Mia your lawyer?"
"No. She's his sister . I don't want her to feel like she has to pick between her brother and I. And it's obvious who'll she'll pick anyway."
Her phone buzzed again. It wasn't Jeremy this time.
"Mia." She answered.
"Hey. Can we meet for lunch?"
She sighed. She knew where this was heading to.
"Sure. I'll come over."

Mr. Whytes had one of his luxury mansions in Newcastle. That was where he was currently with Mia handing some of his businesses in that area.
Mia had the power of Attorney of Whytes and Associates because Jeremy couldn't manage both empires simultaneously. However Mr. Whyte did help out.
"Mia"
"Renée... it's good to see you." She welcomed her in.
"Is Mr. Whyte in?"
"No.  He's out. He has some meetings to attend to."
They took a seat at the mansion's mini bar. Mia offered her a glass of cocktail while she helped herself to a glass of tequila.
"Renée... do you think you can settle this with my brother without us going to court."
"N-No. I don't think so." She tried to remain assertive. It hurt her to say that. Mia had become a very good friend but what Jay did was unforgivable. He broke her trust and she knew she could never trust him again.

Mia bowed her head. Jeremy and Renée were the loveliest couple she's met. How did their beautiful love story end up in shambles?
She still remembers that night when Jeremy called Mr. Whyte for assistance. She was with him in the study.
"Dad"
"Jeremy, my son. How are you doing?"
"Dad..."
"What's wrong? Are Renée and Jayson okay?"
He sighed.
"Dad, I messed up. They're gone."
"What do you mean you messed up?!"
"I was intimate with another woman."
"What?!" Mr Whyte yelled.
I clasped my hand against my mouth. He was disappointed.
"Mia and I are leaving New York for Newcastle tonight, when we settle we'll call you and we'll discuss this."
Mr. Whyte turned to face Mia.
"He's slowly turning into his father. I just hope history doesn't repeat itself."

When she got home. She was flustered. The living area was beautiful decorated with all her favorite flowers. There was a note in one of the petals.

Hope you love the flowers. Each petal is my heartfelt apology to you my love. Take all the time you need, don't worry. I'll wait forever, if that is what it'll take for you to forgive me. 'cause no one else can complete me. I love you with all of my heart.
Jeremy.

Her heart warmed but she couldn't trust him. She was scared to let him break her heart yet again.

A month had passed. It was a day before her divorce proceedings officially commence.
Her phone rang.
"Mr. Whyte."
"Hello my dear."
"Can you meet in my office in 2 hours?"
"In New York?", she asked puzzled
"No, in Newcastle. I'll send you the address. See you."
This isn't going to be good....