Mask and Lies

*Sasuke POV*

I whipped my head back and laughed as she crumpled into my arms. I tossed her aside and watched in delight as she withered, blood filling up her lungs, therefore making her unable to breathe or scream. As the life in her beetle red eye faded, she gasped, "why...?"

"It's protectiveness," I kneeled down and whispered it to her, "as long as I'm alive nothing will harm her. Anyone who touched her will receive my wrath."

My red eyes turned black with glee as she took her final breath and the light faded.

"Oh, the sweet taste of revenge," I licked a drop of blood from my hands as I opened the door and walked out, holding the bloody knife in my hand.

*Akari POV*

I watched curiously as Sasuke stepped out from the bathroom, his shirt gone and holding a clean dagger. I was about to step forward when I felt a hand on my shoulder. I looked back to see Naruto's gaze fixed intently on his dark haired best friend as he pulled me back into the shadows and onto the familiar mahogany staircase.

"Don't talk to him when he's angry like this," he muttered as we descended the stairs, "and don't ask him any questions."

"Why?" I asked, lowering my voice as well.

"Just trust me. I've known him since we were young, and even I wouldn't mess with him when he's like that."

"But what happened to Karin..."

"Don't ask," Naruto said firmly, and I closed my mouth.

When we've reached the poolside, I blurted out a question I've been trying to hold in,

"Is it related to his past?"

Naruto glared at me, but sighed.

"Yes, now drop it," he hissed just in time as Sasuke walked towards us, his shirt, the knife and most importantly, Karin missing.

"I've sent Karin home," Sasuke said a little too carefreely, but neither Naruto or I tried to contradict him.

"But why?" I asked casually, wiping the sweat in the palm of my hands on my thigh.

"She was bothering you, wasn't she?" Sasuke replied, the corners of his mouth tugged up, but his eyes didn't crinkle. Naruto and I smiled in reply, neither mask betraying any thoughts.

I'm sorry for this ridiculously short chapter, and I promise it's just this once, so bare with me ok?