Chapter One

Just a few hours ago I was at work. A normal, boring job and to think I'd be working there forever. For nothing. The cubicle didn't have enough space, even for a rat but did the boss care? No. He hid away behind his large office that was big enough to hold two times the 32 cubicles outside of it. I also kept stumping my toe on that little metal thing at the corner of the table's legs. It wasn't a good day, probably the worst day ever; well, everyday is the worst day ever when working her him... Ugh. 

I was day dreaming about being on a lovely island when the phone rang; I quickly picked it up while sucking up the saliva thread that ran down the corner of my mouth. I rubbed my eyes as I gave the usual greeting in a drowsy tone.

"Uh, hello, thank you for choosing TSK life insurance. I'm Sawyers, how can I help you today?"

I was in charge of the customer complaint line, it was tiring but the money was good and no one wanted to take care of the annoying customer complaints so I figured I'd give it a try. Three months on the job and I'm still trying.

"Jay, Hey. It's Luke."

"Luke!?!" I exclaimed before toning down my voice after realizing all eyes in the room were on me.

"...Luke, how'd you get this number? You can't just call like this."

"I know but it's not my fault you don't have a phone."

"Get to the point." I whispered as I looked around the room for Tim, the supervisor. He's obnoxious and somehow hates me. He would die for a chance to see me making personal calls but of course I didn't make the call but to him, that didn't matter.

"I heard what happened with Greg. I wanted to cheer you up so I thought I'd invite you to the club tonight. Your friends were too shy to ask so I did. Sorry."

What happened with that idiot was a long time back and this idiot knew that. Before I could tell him no, I felt a hand on my shoulder. I turned, only to see Tim grinning like a jackass; I wanted to punch his teeth out. It's time to act normal, act like I'm actually taking calls.

"So... What do you say? Are you going or not?" Luke questions.

"I'll see what I can do, Sir." I chuckled nervously. This, of course, causes Luke to get confused. He then says.

"Is it a yes or a no? If you say no, I'll call again till you say yes." He said, jokingly but I knew it wasn't a joke. I sighed and responded with "Yes, of course. Thank you for calling, glad I could be of service." And slammed the phone down, taking a deep breath.

I turned my chair around, pushing back some hair behind my ears before grunting. "What do you want?"

I then pushed his hand away from my shoulder and folded my arms.

He looked at me for a second before turning away and chuckling. "I really don't understand how you lasted this long here, Sawyers. You're a woman, we don't want you here... or do we?"

"Is it because I do my job better than you?" I replied with a hint of satisfaction.

He was left lost for words before clearing his throat and fixing the paper in his hands. "King wants to see you."

"I'm sure he does." I got up and slipped into my shoes before heading towards the big red door East of where I was sitting. I knocked once and waited.

After hearing a faint "Come in" and I pushed the door. The office has changed alot since the first time I came in, I couldn't believe it was the same one from a few months ago. How'd they renovate when we were there? I didn't notice anything. There was no one there when I walked in. I looked around in awe. The view was just as I remembered it, it was magnificent. I could even see my old dusty apartment from here. I walked over to the glass window, just as I was about to press my fingers on it a voice stopped me.

"Don't(!) touch it. I paid over $600 dollars to get that cleaned and polished."

Pfft, $600 dollars? I only get $1500 a month, how do you explain that? I crossed my arms, heading over to the chair to take a seat, I still had no idea where the voice came from until I saw a tall man walk out in his towel, broadcasting his buff chest to the public. I didn't care cause he didn't have anything I wanted so I just looked down to give him some privacy. I was already in there for 15 minutes and all he told me was about the money he spent on a damn window. I looked up at him as he buttoned his shirt up.

"Sir, can I help you with something?"

"Yeah, you see that seat over there?"

I turned around to the corner of the room where the desk was. It was bigger than mine, it was a normal sized desk with a bunch of files on it and the chair was old and beat up, I could see the foam peeping out of it and it wasn't your normal yellow colour anymore.

"What does a chair have to do with me?"

"Sarah's been fired so now you have the job as the secretary, starting tomorrow."

I jumped out my chair in surprise and disapproval.

"Me? But I didn't ask for the position, Sir. I'm contented with the job I have now."

He didn't answer at first but, instantly, he came around the big table and stood infront of me.

"I'm sorry but it wasn't a request, Miss Sawyers. Now sit."