chapter 8 "for you, for a lifetime"

As he swept me up, I wrapped my arms around his neck, and he encircled my back with his. He carried me inside, turning to lower me beside the couch. I tried to pull away, loosening my grip, but he held fast, his arms tightening around me like a gentle vice. "Stay there," he whispered, his voice low and soothing, his sharp exhale sending a thrill through me, making my heart skip a beat once more.

In Rihan's arms, I've found a peace that soothes my soul. It's a sense of completion I've always longed for, a feeling of safety where nothing can harm me. Even his gentle pull draws me into a dreamlike state I never want to leave. I know my Rihan, and his tears are a mystery I can't quite grasp. His happiness is my joy, and seeing him hurt or numb pierces my heart.

"I need one minute more," he whispered, his voice cracking with emotion. His hands wiped away tears behind my back, and I felt every movement, every tremble. I couldn't help but let out a soft, gentle chuckle at the vulnerability of this strong person in my arms. My palm rubbed against the nape of his neck, trying to comfort him without words.

"Why are you laughing?" he asked, his voice still shaky, like a child trying to hold back tears. He remained cradled in my arms, his body relaxed, trusting.

"Nothing," I whispered into his shoulder, trying to conceal my smile. I didn't want to diminish his emotions or make him feel like he needed to hide.

Finally, we parted, and I saw his face, his nose red like a cherry, his eyes still shining with unshed tears. My heart ached with love and compassion. I smiled at him, and he sniffled, returning a soft, sheepish smile. "Don't look at me," he said, chuckling and turning away, his vulnerability adorable.

"Okay, okay," I said, holding up my hands in a mock surrender. 'I'm sorry... do you need water or anything?' I asked, walking beside him towards the dining area. But before I could take another step, a strong, firm grip encircled my wrist, stopping me. Rihan's eyes locked onto mine, his shiny gaze piercing.

"I don't need anything, I just need you," he said, his voice low and husky. His lips pouted slightly, and I felt a flutter in my chest. What did he mean? Was it a romantic declaration or a plea for my attention? His words left me wondering, but one thing was clear: my avoidance had hurt him deeply.

"Rihan, I'm not going to avoid you," I said, looking into his eyes, trying to convey my sincerity. I nodded twice, and he remained still, his grip on my wrist unwavering. "Just trust me," I added, and I knew he understood, knew he trusted me more than anyone.

He nodded and released his grip on my wrist. I turned and headed towards the dining area, saying, "Let's have dinner." I picked up a glass of water and turned around to see him following me, his eyes still locked on mine. He took the glass from my hand and started drinking, his gaze never leaving me. I smiled and walked into the kitchen, hearing him say, "I'll help you." He entered the kitchen behind me, and I pointed to the plates on the cabinet, which I had set out earlier. We began dinner in comfortable silence, him sitting across from me, eating quickly like a child. "Well..." he murmured, still chewing, his eyes flicking to me. "Woh tha kon?" he asked, moving his head, seeking my attention. I called out his name, 'Rihan,' and suggested, "Why don't we finish dinner first?" forcing a smile. He nodded, his eyes still on me.

As we ate dinner together, alone for the first time, I felt a surprising sense of ease. The tension between us was palpable, but it wasn't awkward or embarrassing. Instead, it was a comfortable understanding, a silent acknowledgment of the emotions that had passed between us. I wasn't tense or wondering why he had cried earlier; all that mattered was that he was happy now, and that made me happy too.

As I glanced up at him, I saw him biting into his food, his eyes relaxed, not overthinking things. That was one of the things I loved about him - his understanding nature, his patience, and his unwavering trust in me. But sometimes, he could be a bit of an idiot, overthinking things to the point of exhaustion. Yet, even that was endearing. "What?" he asked, breaking the silence, his intense gaze holding mine. I quickly looked back at my food, feeling a flutter in my chest. "What?" I asked back, trying to sound nonchalant.