Chapter 1

The raven-haired girl hadn't wanted to upset her mom, but as most teenagers do, she fought with her mom on one specific May evening. Marinette found herself in the park outside her house, struggling to find a way out of the situation. I need to transform into ladybug, she thought.

Her mom was searching for her, wanting to trap her precious little daughter and keep her safe from all harm. The normally sweet and peaceful mother fell into a furious rage, the little black butterfly that rested in her hairband enhancing her abilities. The petite woman held a dangerous aura which warned everyone in the surrounding areas the flea; the people who remained were trapped in a small black box which was bubbling with blue and black, giving away its dark magical purpose.

Marinette, oblivious as ever, had been so engaged in her furious sketching that she only noticed her akumatised mom as her sketchbook was knocked from her hands, a terrified stranger making their escape. She jumped to grab her sketchbook, holding it tightly to her chest when she noticed her mother.

"Oh sweet Marinette, I'll keep you safe forever." She had said, a sing-song tone to her voice. Marinette immediately felt terrible, her compassion for others overpowering her fear. "Maman please don't let him do this to you, I'm so sorry." She wanted to break through Hawkmoth's wall of defence but she already knew it wouldn't work, she just needed her mom to know that she regrets what she did.

Marinette's mom merely chuckled and prepared to trap her daughter, her positive emotions forgotten. Marinette's inner Ladybug came to her at a time of need and she managed to dodge the attack and run to the safety of a gathering of trees. The spot she chose, however much it hid her, it would not be able to hide the bright flashes of pink and red that surround her when she transforms into Ladybug.

She scanned the surrounding area and looked for a way to escape the park; she could see the exit to the park which wasn't actually too far away from her but as her mom came closer and closer to her not-so-secret hiding place, she could clearly see that a simple escape was no longer an option.

"Looking for me?" Chat Noir appeared behind Marinette, surprising her slightly. "Oh hi Chat," Marinette held her calm exterior but Chat could see the slight panic in her eyes, the kind of vulnerability he never saw in Ladybug. "Come on, let's get you out of here."

Marinette smiled thankfully as he wrapped his arms around her slim waist. "Hold on tight," The cat said with a flirtatious wink. Marinette slid her arms under his shoulders, holding tightly to his back while Chat used his free hand to hold his baton, propelling them into the air. The feeling made her stomach tingle a little, not used to not being the one in control and Chat noticed her change, squeezing her tighter to make her feel safe.

Of course, Chat didn't know that his innocent classmate was well accompanied with the feeling of flying through the air so he smiled to himself, feeling good about saving Marinette from danger. Chat saw the entrance to the subway and he landed directly in front of it, ushering Marinette down the stairs to hide.

"Stay down here and I'll come get you later," Chat said with a rare serious look in his eyes, "that was your mom right? Any hints you can give me as to where her akuma is?"

"It's in her hairband on her wrist, definitely. She's trapping people in small boxes on the floor, um at least I-I think so, what would I know anyway?" Marinette stumbled on her words as she realised she had let her inner Ladybug out again but this time in front of the person who knew Ladybug the best in all of Paris. Marinette giggled a little, acting as a fangirl to make sure Chat had no suspicions of her; after all, he would be the one in danger if he knew Marinette was Ladybug.

Chat just smiled his confident smile, happy that he managed to get two sentences out of Marinette without her stuttering, unlike when he was in his civilian form. "Well, princess, I trust you - you're a very smart girl." Marinette sighed wistfully, still not used to being called such a flirtatious nickname but she used her sensible brain again and straightened her back.

"You should go Chat Noir, go be superhero-y and save Paris!" Chat nods and smiles, saying he'll see her in a bit and he heads back towards the battle grounds, smiling to himself for saving Marinette. He always wanted to get closer to the girl but whenever he spoke a word to her, since he met her two whole years ago, she would stutter and stumble and often end up running away.

Chat focused his mind on the akuma attack, the park he was previously in was now littered with black boxes. He looked at the villain's wrist, noticing her hairband which seemed to be shooting the boxes out of it. His lady showed up not much later, ready to fight.

Ladybug let Chat explain where the akuma was and what the villain was doing, despite her already knowing from her previous encounter. The superheroes fought the villain in their usual roles, Ladybug calling on her lucky charm and formulating a plan while Chat Noir distracted the villain, using his cat-like senses and skills to escape any tight situations.

Ladybug emerged from her spot, a plan in her mind, and called to Chat Noir so she could try to explain it as best as possible. Ladybug didn't see what Chat did though, so when he came rushing forwards, twirling his baton to act as a shield, Ladybug didn't have time to defend herself. The villain's trap was flying towards her and Chat dove in front of it, taking the hit and falling back onto his partner. They were both encased in black.

word count 1014