Prolog

It is five days into summer vacation and my parents already left for Ohio, for a business meeting. Followed by 5 other meetings that would go all the way into June. I would be lying if I said I saw my parents for more than a month a year.
When I was younger my parents didn't work all the time and we were a happy family of four. But things change.

"Jordan, I will be out for a while will you be ok?" Sarah my house keeper asks with her hands full of boxes. "I will be fine, have faith in me, I am 15 I can handle things myself." I say taking a few of the boxes from her hands. "Yes I know but I can't help but to worry. There have been several missing cases lately. I wouldn't be able to live with myself if something happened to you." She sighs. Sarah has always been protective over me since I was little, she is like a mother to me. "I'll be fine I promise." I exclaim. "Alright fine, I'll be back in a hour. You and Nick better not trash the place while I'm gone like last time." I give her a smile of reassurance before seeing her off.

I pick up the book I am currently reading about world war 2. I lay on my sofa and snuggled up to the cushion. Getting lost in the book by the page.

"You really need to stop reading those books there going to spoil your mind." Nick says lunging onto the sofa. "NICK! You about gave me a heart attack." I gasp my heart racing. "You didn't hear me come in? We're going to have to take you to the doctors some time to get your hearing checked." He says changing the channels on the t.v. "So how was the party last night?" I ask sitting up. "Boring of course no one finds standing around talking about paintings, that look like my aunt Lisa fun." He says leaning back and kicking his feet up. "That's true. I am going to go make some popcorn I'll be back in a second." Nicks eyes stay glued to the t.v.

I go into the kitchen and dig for some popcorn. "Come on I know we just bought some the other day." I moan shutting one of the cabinet doors. Some thing falls from the other room. No one else is here other than me and Nick, maybe he's just trying to play a trick on me."Nick!" I call out walking closer to the room the noise came from. No reply. I think about what Sarah told me, about the missing reports. The hair on the back of my neck stands up. I power walk back to the living room with the feeling of being watched.
"Where's the popcorn?" Nick asked, he was in the same position he was when I left, did he run back in here and have time to settle in? "We don't have any." I say. I sit down my body shacking. "What's wrong?" Nick asks leaning towards me. "I think some one else is on the house, but I must be imaging things, right?" I whisper. "There's only one way to find out." He says standing up and pulling me up with him. "No! No! No!" I say implanting my feet into the ground. "Come on there's nothing in there, and if there is I will protect you." Nick blurts out. He turns around and faces me and stares. "Right of course." I mumble, I keep on walking towards the room, he follows after me. The door to the room is shut.

"Did you hear that?!" I whisper getting closer to Nick. He gets quiet and listens. "There it was a again!" I latch on to his arm gripping it tightly. "I don't hear any thing." He's says, I shush him to be quiet. "BANG!" We look at each other there was something defiantly in that room. I squeeze his arm tighter then before. He squeezes me back. "At least your not crazy..." he says under his breath. He puts out his hand to open the door. "Your not seriously going to go in there are you?!" I yell at him. Nick just keeps on twisting the door handle until it opens. I close my eyes terrified of what I might see in the room. Nick picks up a metal rod used for the firer place. He motions me to come with him. I want to stay where I am and hide but my body starts to move, even though my brain yells at it to stay put. My body is shacking uncontrollably my legs are like jello as I walk into the room. I stay close to Nick to make sure he doesn't leave me. He promised me I wouldn't get hurt and he wasn't one to break promises. "There's no one in here." He declares turning back around to the door. "What do you mean there's no one in hear! You heard it to!" I yell more scared than mad. "What do you want me to say. look around do you see any one here?" I look around the room there isn't any one or any sign there has been. "No." I mumble. "I know your scared but there's nothing else we can do. If you want we can go to my house instead." Nicks says hugging me. "If your parents wouldn't mind." I say walking out of the room feeling a little better. "They won't." Nick follows me out. "We can leave soon as I write Sarah a note." Sarah would have a freaked out if she came home and I wasn't here.

I write the note quickly, I just wanted to get out of the house soon as possible. "You ready?" Nick asks after I slam the pin down on the table. I turn ready to leave, a red box catches my eye. I can't believe it! It's the popcorn. "Nick." I say staring at the box. "What?" He asks when I don't say any thing else. "The popcorn box!" He just stares back at me. "Ok so you do have popcorn..." I shake my head. "No it wasn't here earlier, I know it wasn't!" I yell. He thinks I am crazy. "You must of missed it when you were looking it happens to me all the time." He explains. "I didn't miss it I know I didn't ok! I know this seems crazy but this kinda stuff happens all the time some one breaks in and, and." No other words came to me. "Ok I understand we can leave now and when we come back and there's still some thing off we will call the cops." Rapidly I nod my head up and down.

As we are about to leave the lights flicker. My stomach turns. There is some thing going. Nick acts as if nothing happened. He has always been one to not let things get to him. Flick, Flick, Flick. The lights did every second. "Nick there's some one here." I weep, scared for both of our life's. "Go hide in one of the rooms up stares I'll be there in a minute." He starts to walk away. I grab the sleeve of his arm. "Don't leave me!" I plead. "I won't, but I have to check the house first it won't take very long." he pauses. "And if there is some one here I'll call out to you and you call 911. Got it." I didn't agree to his plan at all but for some reason I shake my head yes. "Ok good."

I go up the stairs fast as possible my legs were heavy and hard to move. When I get to the top floor of my house I hide in the third room to the left. I go to the closet and shut the door. Nick will come back with a perfect explanation for all of this. I lay my head on my knees. He will come back. I sit in the small corner of the closet for ten minutes before I hear any thing. "Jordan!" Nick says sliding open the door. He comes and sits next to me. "Close your eyes and no matter what don't open them!" He hugs me his warm body pressed against me. "But why!?" I pull away from him. "Please just do it." His voice was cracked. I squeeze my eyes shut. "Bang! Bang! Bang!" Came from the other room. Is this why he told me to close my eyes? The horrible sound of banging disappears and replaced by foot steps on the hard floor.