•Chapter One•

Felicity paced back and forth in her living room staring at the clock hanging on the wall. It was 12:00 pm which meant twelve hours until she turned eighteen and 24-hours until she faced the council.
  "Will you stop pacing." Sarah, her childhood best friend said.
  "You'll be pacing too when you face what I'm about to." Felicity stopped pacing and lightly chuckled.
  "Look at you. So stressed out yet you're still managing to laugh. The council would be stupid to assign you anything other than a yellow."
  Felicity lightly nodded and began to pace again.
  "Well, since you're insistent on burning every single calorie you've ever eaten, how about I make us some lunch." Sarah said.
  She proceeded into the kitchen making light glances up to her friend. Sarah had no true idea what was going on in Felicity's head but she knew she would face the same fate in less than half a year.
  Sarah finished preparing the lunches and brought two perfectly made sandwiches out to Felicity. The two sat on the couch and silently ate, too nervous to make conversation.
  "Sarah what if-" Felicity began.
  "Let's not do what ifs. You're here with me, right now. Let's make the best of it."
  They fell into a routine silence. Sarah began making faces in hopes that Felicity would laugh, which she did.
  Felicitys parents were purples. This meant they were never around and Felicity had practically raised herself. It was nearly impossible for two purples to breed a third so she never let the thought cross her mind.
  After they finished eating they finally began talking. The conversation fell to the nightmare being faced the next day. It ended in giggles, tears, and meaningful hugs. Finally the day grew old and it was time to sleep. Felicity was staying over at Sarah's for her last night, Sarah's parents were oranges. They didn't ever care if Felicity stayed but they obviously were never emotionally invested either.
  As the two laid in Sarah's bed Felicity began to speak.
  "Sarah, what if I don't get yellow. What if I have to uproot everything I know, forget every emotion I've felt? What if they get it wrong? What if, what if I get grey?"
  "Why would you say that." Sarah's head immediately popped up from her pillow. She hovered over Felicity.
  "Because it's possible!"
  "Why do you insist on talking about this!?"
  "Sarah. Literally anything could happen tomorrow, it's kind of all I can think about!"
  Sarah stayed silent. Felicity rolled onto her side to face her friend.
  "I don't want to die." She quietly whispered, a single tear rolled down her face.
  "I- I know."
  They stayed silent, each falling back into their original positions. Sleep fell over the two eventually on their last peaceful night together. After all, no one knew what was to come the next day.