Companion Book for Unwind, by Neal Shusterman

Zelda Spier

Tea.  Cher.

English G

8 April 2020

TABLE OF CONTENTS (done)

Orientation- Page 1

Cast of MAIN characters- Page 2

Hero's journey- Page 3

Symbols- Page 4

Themes- Page 5

Conflicts- Page 6

Terms- Page 7

Fanfic- Page 8

An orientation to the rules of the Unwind world

In the Unwind world, kids of the ages above 13 and under 18 are able to be 'Unwound' by their parents. Juvey cops are cops that catch runaway kids who have run away because of the risk of being unwound. The technology in the future world of unwind hasn't updated/improved that much however ipods, computers, printers, etc are considered old and not updated. Nothing has really changed but it is definitely in the future as there are references to what has changed even though it's not very big. The process of Unwinding is the process of (not killing someone) but putting them in a 'divided state' and all body parts go to different people. So you 'live on' in other people. Guns are illegal and juvey cops only use tranq darts exclusively. If you escape being unwound, you are now called an AWOL and if you get caught by the cops you will go straight to the nearest harvest camp.

Cast of MAIN Characters & Their Character Archetypes in Unwind (1st book)

Connor

Hero

Determined

Troublemaker

Expectant

Intelligent

Impulsive

Risa

Sidekick (Most people think she's a hero, but in the 1st book I think she's a sidekick and the main hero is Connor)

Innocent

Kind

Careful

Determined

Strong

Lev

Antihero (Most people think he's a sidekick but in the 1st book I think he's an antihero because he doesn't seem very good at the beginning)

Determined

Innocent

Brave

Roland

'Villain'

Intimidating

Leading

Selfish

Impulsive

Analysis of Hero's journey in Unwind

1. Ordinary world- Before Connor knew about his parents unwinding him.

2. Call to adventure- Connor finds a letter to unwind him/ vacation ticket for 3 (Mother, father, brother) and not him for after his unwinding.

3. Return of the call- Connor runs away/becomes an AWOL