Chapter 1

Picture: Main Character- Melanie
(Might have to slide to the right)

---------------------

The creeks of the floor grow louder as I feel him approaching. I savor every bit of air my nose takes in not trying to make a sound. It's hard to feel safe in a house with an abusive father but not being able to tell anyone because your afraid he will abuse you more. The usually door locked, dressier up againt it, doesn't work anymore. Now, I lay quietly under my bed as his boots circle my room leaving bloody footprints.

My mother, hiding in the closet, had managed to escape his death coke and sadly stab him in the foot with a kitchen knife. As a witness, I couldn't help but scream and cry. Now I'm chocking on my breathes as my shoulders bounce and my tears burn.

I hear the shatter of my lamp, shelves knocked over but I'm not scared. I don't care what he does to my room as long as me or my mother are safe. Right now, we are far from it. I hear some more crashing and I hold in my sobs.

Suddenly, my cell phone rings. The crashing stops, the creaking stops, my breathing stops. In seconds the bed is tossed up and there he is. Staring at me with his yellow teeth showing, he grabs my neck and drags me to a standing position. He tosses my phone into the hall and I am shoved up against the wall. Unable to controll myself I let out my bursts of tears and cries as my head bashes against the wall and my vision darkens.

"Tell me where your fucking mother is" he whispers in my ear. Shaking from pain and fear I shake my head no. He bashes me again and I whimper. "I will ask you one more time, where, is, your, fucking, mother." I look away. He grabs my chin and forces me to face him dead on. I punch him square in the nose and knee him in the balls. He falls to the floor as I run for the hall. I am almost out when he grabs my legs and trips me. He pulls me closer to him. He jumps ontop of me in a wrestling position and starts punching the crap out of my face. I can no longer see out of my right eye, but out of my left eye I notice my mom emerge from the closet with a bat. I hear a loud DING! before a final punch forces my vision black.

I feel myself being forcefully dragged away. Thinking it's my father, I await for more punches. None come. I lie on the ground for a minute and I hear feet scrambling, zipping, and slamming of doors. My dragging is resumed down the rest of the hall. I am brought to my feet and guided down the stairs.

It is then when I realize it was my mother who held me. Today we were escaping the cruelty we have been through for the past 16 years. I hear footsteps upstairs and I'm being rushed now. I can not see nor speak, just obey. We reach what I think is the door because I'm greeted by a chilling breeze. I'm picked up and rushed somewhere away from the house. I hear the click of a car door and I'm thrown inside.

I hear my dad raging out of the house. My mom's breathing gets heavier and I can't do anything but panic inside my head. I hear him bang on the window and yank the handle but we are locked inside.

My mom hits the gas pedal and we fly backwards. He jumps on top of the car and screams like the devil is emerging from him. "YOU CAN RUN BUT I WILL FIND YOU FUCKERS!" I hear my mother sob as she slams the breaks and my dad falls off the hood. She reverses the car again, this time without my dad. However, I hear a gun shot as we pull out of the driveway. Glass shatters and lands into my leg. I want to scream but I can't. The car is put into drive and we drive off, my dad screaming his head off.

Knowing my mother is okay relaxes me a bit but pain overrides it. "Sweetie, can you hear me" my mother says. I try to nod but it's no use. "I'm sorry I put you through this. She starts wheezing. Through sobs she says "Stay with me baby girl. I'll will get you help soon." I mentally send her a thank you but it does no use. Knowing I can't do much else, I fall into a deep slumber.