Chapter 2

I woke up with a bright light burning my eyes. Not gonna lie, I thought I was seriously dying and this was my descent to heaven. I almost wanted it to be; it would help to erase the permanent scar of the other night. I did want to see anyone or meet anyone. If I can't even trust my father, who am I to trust? I feel a warm hand grip mine and a soft voice whispers "sleep baby." I try to shake my head no but my neck is stiff. I must have moved it enough for her to notice because she grips harder.

She calls somebody in and all I manage to see is a small, round, white figure standing off to my side out of my vision. I don't know exactly what they're saying but it's obviously about me and my health. The figure walks up in front of me and begins to speak in a soft, moderate tone.

"Good afternoon Miss. Giovanni" he starts. "It's very nice to meet you but I'm sorry we had to meet like this. He chuckles and I puff my chest so I don't seem rude. He begins to explain all my injuries and honestly I tuned out. Something about a few fractured bones, a broken arm, and a concussion but I don't know why I have a tube on my mouth. Like any normal teenager, I was hungry but I was incapable of asking.

After all his mumbling, he finished with "anything I can get you love?" I screamed "FOOD!" In my head but hell it wasn't gonna do anything. "Can you just bring me a water bottle and maybe some fruit for Maddie once she feels up to it please?" My mother asks. I attempt at nodding but my neck is still stiff. I hear footsteps leave and silence fills the room. It was silent for awhile until I could hear my mother start to pace. My eyes just barely started to adjust to the lighting and I could see my mom pacing informs of my bed. I could see a wire taped to my arm, my toes blue, and what looked like x rays on a white board.

The doctor came back and my mother squeeze the water bottle and walked out of the room. The doctor turned to me and his eyes slightly widened. "My my, I didn't expect you to be adjusting so quickly. You're one strong woman." He said cherry but fake. My throat hurt but I was able to whimper out a thank you. He held up some grapes with a questioning face. I mumbled and he handed them to me. He looked about 35 years old and his face was pretty attractive but he didn't have the supporting body; honestly it looked awkward. "So you're probably wondering where you are. Well, welcome to Toronto."

TORONTO!? LIKE CANADA TORONTO? I started banging on the bed and tables since I could speak. My mother worriedly runs back into the room and calms me down. I had tears and my eyes and my breathing was heavy. "I apologize" he said. "I'll leave you two alone then" and with that he walked out.

I sat there quietly trying to take everything in. My mother kept calling my name but I ignored her. I wasn't in the mood for an explanation or a life lesson at the moment. To be honestly I'm completely fed up with my life and there's nothing anything or anyone can do to fix it. My life is just one big mistake like I was.

Without realizing I starting tuning in on my mother speaking. I hadn't realized she was talking to me. "... Toronto because I knew your father would never look here. You can still have contact if you want but it has to be a pay phone so he can't track us. I'm still looking for a house so when you're better I'll make sure we're all set. It's just going to be me and you against the world okay?" I rolled over and saw that bright smile that my mother always wore. It said a thousand words without speaking. This time it only said 4: "You're safe with me." I smiled back and she sat on the bed and hugged me.

I know I'm acting like a bitchy person and don't want anyone but I couldn't make it without my mom. We've been through so much shit together and she's always been able to figure out what the hell to do. I'm glad to have her by my side, I'm glad she's my mom.

The doctor comes back in and tells me to rest up because they will be running some tests on my later tonight. I still haven't learned his name. I squeak out that I'm fine and insist on being tested now. He smiled and told me again how strong a woman I was. Most girls would probably be flattered, ya I wasn't. Honestly he's probably one of those slutty doctors that things they're the shit and aren't. I start to stand up but lose my balance. My mother catches me and I put my arm around her shoulder. She's always there to catch me when I fall. The doctor takes off all the wiring and escorts us down the hall. The stares dig into my skin and I close my eyes. God, please make me stronger and help me survive this.

-----------------------

Okay guys... I'm so sorry these chapters have been so short and sorry I haven't updated in a while. These first few chapters are going to be filter chapters leading up to shawn. Yes I realize Shawn wasn't in Toronto when he was 15 but it's just the story line okay? And I've been bombarded with basketball, school, and I'm currently writing this on a bus too Canada for a school field trip. I'm going to try and write once a week or at least start writing so I can publish for you all. Please make sure to add this to your library for future notifications and updates (: