Ch. XX

Surprises, Surprises, & Surprises(II)

Song: Thinking Out Loud by Ed Sheeran

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Let's eat...Gigi made her delicious macaroni and cheese that I know you still love so much. Don't you?"

Jaxon stared at Chloe as she playfully smiled while handing the cup over to him, which he gladly took. At that moment he didn't know what he felt towards Chloe seeing as she's only been in Fairsborro for a few days.

"I haven't eaten it in years, so yeah, I still love her cooking," Jaxon answered as he walked with Chloe over to the catered food.

"So, are you staying for the rest of the evening?" Chloe asked as Jaxon was filling his stomach up with food. "Something tells me you haven't had a well-cooked meal." She joked.

Jaxon's eyes rolled, "I usually don't eat a lot of cooked meals but my mom makes sure I do."

The mention of Jaxon's mother entices an uncomfortable feeling in Chloe as she sipped her beverage.

"How is Gemma anyway?" She didn't like the woman but Chloe was curious to ask about Gemma's well-being.

"....still being overprotective as always." Jaxon joked as he caught the smirk on Chloe's lips. "Don't you even dare..."

"You're still Gemma's baby boy." Chloe joked her tone high pitch. "I'm sorry...just kidding."

Jaxon shook his head at Chloe's taunting and teasing behavior to the years of Gemma trying to shelter him. He sipped his punch hissing at the strong taste of alcohol that was in the drink.

"How much fucking alcohol did your uncle put in here?" Jaxon asked as Chloe giggled. "Seriously?"

"Whatever he feels like will get the party going," Chloe answered before sipping her drink. "I'm used to it."

"Hmm..." Jaxon nods. "...I'm sure you are." He clears his throat as Chloe glares in his direction. "Last night, you did have a good amount to drink."

Last night's events invaded Chloe's mind as she watched the man before her, tend to his plate of food, "...and last night someone was there to finish it off"

Jaxon directed his eyes to Chloe, "You've become fucking bold since coming back." He places his plate on the table. "Where is this coming from?"

"It never left," Chloe answered quickly. "You act like I was some innocent chick..."

Jaxon bit his tongue remembering the sassiness Chloe brought to the table when they were teenagers. There were times where he thought it was a cute act but there also were times where it got out of hand.

"Okay..." He stroked his beard. "...I'll give you that."

Chloe smirked before turning her head to watch the small group of family members dancing happily to their favorite songs that the disc jockey played.

"I need to take a smoke," Jaxon said catching her attention. "...be right back."

Before Chloe could answer, Jaxon had already left the table leaving her alone with her thoughts as she watched his retreating back leaving the building. For some reason, Chloe felt like she was being too pushy with their situation and even smothering Jaxon at a certain point.