Prologue

The full moon glared down at the camp like a cataract. The camp was desolate with the rest of the warriors being out at the gathering. The only cats left behind was a queen and a medicine cat. The queen's yowls had awoken Sootleaf from his medicine den, but now that the queen had given birth to her only kit, the panic was over.
Sootleaf lay cool moss on the queen's fur.
"Lap your kit," Sootleaf advised her, "Warm her up."

She did so. Her heavy breathing had stopped as she calmed down a bit. She finally spoke to the grey medicine cat, "She was born, alone in a camp with just us. Seems a little sad, doesn't it? Who would have known she'd be born on the night of a full moon."
Sootleaf looked away, holding back a smile. He knew.

"Two cats isn't exactly isolation, but I get what you mean." He purred and flicked his tail, "But you can't name her after that, can you? Lonelykit, Lonekit, Isolatedkit..." He sniffed at the kit with his pink nose. "You know... the typical VenomClan route to naming things."

Brambleleaf looked to her kit with warm, amber eyes. "I should name her after her pelt," she mewed after moments of silence.

"Frostkit." She finally decided. The stars outside twinkled their agreement and the queen couldn't help but grin. She was happy that she had a kit, despite only having one and it being a she-cat. Her mate would probably be upset with her, and leave her seeing as she has had an unsatisfactory birth, but at least she had a surviving kit. And although Frostkit was born with really nobody around to celebrate her existence, Brambleleaf had no doubts that she'd make friends and become a great warrior.

Sootleaf grinned and nodded, "Well I must go. You need your rest, it is late. When your mate comes back from the gathering I am sure he'll be proud." He left, tail sweeping the sand back and forth, and back and forth.

"He asked for a tom." Brambleleaf muttered. 

*~*~*

Brambleleaf heard pawsteps approach and she lifted her head. Her only kit, suckling at her belly, mewed and pawed desperately. Brambleleaf searched the outside. It was daytime now, and the pawsteps were those of her mate coming to visit her. He had a sneer on his face.
"My kits? Did you birth them yet?"
Brambleleaf beckoned to her only kit.
"One? And a she-cat?" The tom began to bristle.

"She's strong, Rodenttail!" She snapped, "And I can't help what comes out of me."

"So you're blaming this, what, on me?" Rodenttail grew defensive, his nasty bald tail flicking at its pink end.

"Not at all!" Brambleleaf yowled defensively. She got up, letting Frostkit mewl as she fell over. "You need to stop pinning your anger on me. I'm your mate you know. You love me."

"Do I? I remember giving you one mission and one mission only. To give me a son. This here is no son." He batted at Frostkit, nudging her, but that was enough to snap the thin string holding Brambleleaf back. She hissed, baring her fangs.

"Back off from my kit! She's mine, you hear? You can have a son with some other cat if you please, and I'm sure you do please!" Her pelt was bristling and her tail lashed in front of Frostkit.

Rodenttail was already beginning to leave, claws unsheathed and kicking up sand. Brambleleaf panted, watching him leave to join a patrol, or entice a few she-cats or something. Typical VenomClan mating behaviour. 

"What a..-" Brambleleaf growled and turned to stare at Frostkit. For all the trouble the kit had caused, Brambleleaf would never hate her.

"Little kit. I only hope you grow up to be great. I hope you never have to live in isolation."