Chapter 9: A Dryad and a Ladybug

Eddy had made the long drive to Lair O' the Bare. Luckily it was between rush hours so traffic was light, but it still had taken him nearly an hour and a half. He was nervous about meeting with Thena. Last time he had met with the dryad she had emerged from inside of a tree. He also had no idea what she looked like with the veil intact, he had not even thought at their last meeting to check. He had received enough odd looks today, after what had appeared to every one else to be a heron had perched on his car and had a short conversation with him. The last thing he wanted was to look like he was talking to a tree. But then again Xander went places and did things with Thena, so he figured she must at least look human. 

     As Eddy approached the picnic site where Thena's tree was he began to hear bird song, as he got closer however the song began to sound almost like human speech. He entered the clearing and saw Thena sitting at the picnic table closest to the massive willow that was her home, and if he understood correctly a part of her body. She was seated with her back to the table while she faced out towards the creek with her arms stretched out to the sides running along the long edge of the table. She had her eyes closed and was leaning her head back with the sun peeking through the trees shining on her face. 

     Eddy decided to take the chance to see what she looked like to every one else. As he forced the veil back into place he had to admit she did not look to much different. Her skin appeared more tan like that of a native American, rather then the light pine color it looked like before and had long black hair running down onto the table, but other wise she looked like the same women in a green tank top and shorts. Relieved he would not look like he was talking to a plant he proceeded forward. Nearby a little girl with gold sparkles in her eyes wearing a powered blue dress was skipping along the edge of the water.

     "Hello Eddy" Thena said with out even opening her eyes. As Eddy came to stand in front of her two four inch tall women with butterfly wings came to land on one of her out stretched arm. One of the fairies had black and white wings while the other had yellow. They saw him stare at them and then promptly flew away giggling profusely. "Don't mind them, their just exited about a human being able to see them for what they really look are. It is a rare thing, and your visit has caused quite a commotion as a result." Eddy sat at the end of the table straddling the bench with a leg on each side so he could look directly at the tall women. As he sat at the table next to her he noticed a six inch tall man wearing a white shirt and a furry brown coat that looked like it was made from a chipmunk. The little man stared up at him for a little while, then noticing he had been seen and went to hide behind the concrete leg of the table. 

     Eddy looked over at Thena who was still reclining against the table with her eyes closed. "So a blue pterodactyl told me you wanted to see me." 

     She smiled a little while letting out a small laughed. "It was a wyvern, but yes" she finally opened her eyes as she sat up and leaned forward to rest her arms across her knees and stared out at the water. "I have some information for you, and well, I didn't really have any other way to get a hold of you." 

     "Why not just have the wyvern relay the rest of the message?" 

     "Who knows who might of heard what it had to say. Besides do you really want to have a conversation with a bird where everyone can see you?" Eddy shook his head no. "I fear I have done you a great disservice Eddy." 

     "What are you talking about? You helped point me in the right direction. You sent me to Cindy." 

     "Yes I did. That right there is what I am talking about. You see Eddy the water is by no means, a secure network. Any one who bothers to listen can hear what is being said through it. I had no idea at the time how dangerous your quarry was, or I would have never used it." She turned to look him in the eyes "it never accrued to me that those against you may also be listing."