Average is a word I wish I knew

I never wanted to be different. My whole life I tried to fit in, but now I know it is not because of who I am, but rather what I am. I could start by telling you about any point in my life, but I'll start when I was in sixth grade, when it got really weird.

I am Scarlett Reeverah. I am a twelve year old girl and I used to think I was average. I didn't know how I was.

It was a Friday, the twelve of June to be exact. The school year was almost finished at Ressurie Academy, the middle school I attend.

Final exams were last week. All we have to do now is wait for results to come in.

I'm not the most popular kid, in fact I only have my best friend Kayla to depend on at school. Kayla is an average height, black haired beauty. She has mesmerizing blue eyes and a pale complexion, so she looks a lot like Snow White, which is my nickname for her. I, however, am the opposite of Kayla appearance wise. While I'm the same height, around five foot three inches, I have long blonde hair, I can get really tan, and I have brown eyes that look like mud.

On this particular day, right before lunch time, Kayla and I sat in the corner of our science lab playing charades. Trust me, it can be fun with two people. Kayla was mimicking a cab driver when we heard the bells dinging. We were having a lockdown. We shut and locked doors, pulled down blinds and turned off all the lights before we sat against the wall. We made just in time too, because not a minute later, the doorknob jiggled and we heard muttered curses from a deep rough voice.

Those of us in the science lab had a mutual understanding: we all fell deadly silent, barely daring to move or breath.

Kayla kept a firm grip on my shaking hand and held an air of confidence. I don't know how she did it, but looking at her, I wasn't as scared.

CRASH

A hand burst through what used to be the window on our door. We muffled our screams as he walked in.

It was obviously a man by his tall, big, and burly stature. He wore a ski mask with a turtle neck and dark wash jeans. In one hand he held a knife. In the other; a gun.

The man walked toward us, slow and calculating, mixing suspense with our fear. Holding our breaths, we awaited as he stepped not a foot infront of me. My eyes visibly widened as he grabbed my hand and tugged me to my feet. Kayla stood up. "If you want her, you have to take me too!" She screams at him as she attempts to pull me from the man's vise like grip to no avail.

I struggle. I kick, I punch, I even bit him, but nothing worked. He lifted up both Kayla and me over his shoulders and carried us like a sack of potatoes as he walked out the door.

I could hear sirens getting louder in the distance. The masked man cursed loudly and walked outside into the woods. That's when we disappeared.

It was like being sucked into a vacuum and swirled all around. Everything surrounding me was black, except for the man and kayla. It only lasted a few seconds but it was one of the weirdest things I ever went through. And that's saying a lot.

The man landed on his feet in an alleyway that had to be somewhere in the New York, Pennsylvania, Delaware area. He put us down and grabbed our hands.

"Come with me," he ordered, pulling us along. Kayla and I were so bewildered, we didn't wonder why he stopped carrying us. He ran so fast, if we didn't keep up, our arms would fall out of our sockets. Then he stopped. We were in front of a barn in the middle of no-where. All around us were fields and pastures. How did we get from the city to here in less than half an hour?

He let's go of our hands and gestures for us to go inside.

"Don't even think about running girly, there's no place for you to hide. Now go into the barn, and dont give me any more trouble," he demanded.

We walked as slowly as we could, entirely aware that the man was standing behind us and he was armed.

Stepping into the barn, our movements faltered. The man gave us a gentle shove and closed the door behind himself. The thing about the barn, it wasn't a barn. There wasnt a loft, hay, and maybe some animals. Not anything like that infact. It looked like a city from a bird's point of view as there is a really high up hill. In the middle a neighborhood had been built, surrounded by a beach on the west side, a forest to the north, and mountains to the east. The south was the entrance to this strange town.

I couldn't wrap my mind about how this was all in a barn, it just seemed like magic.