10. hope is a dream

Lizzie's words were stuck in Amari's head like an annoying commercial theme song

Lizzie's words were stuck in Amari's head like an annoying commercial theme song. 'You like her' three simple words that should've been seen as a joke and then never been thought about again. But as Amari sat in her bedroom, that was all she could think about. 

In her long, long lifetime Amari has only liked one person. The moments they had shared had faded into vague memories that Amari could hardly recall. Though she did remember the feeling of their lips moving in sync and how electric all the moments they shared were. She remembered the feeling she got whenever they were together. Amari remembered the pain of her mother's words and the sting of her hits after she found the two girls kissing in their spot in the middle of the woods. 'You're a monster. You don't deserve crushes or happiness. You deserve nothing.' She remembered her heart shattering as her mother told her those words. Amari remembered when her mother told the girls' father and how they never saw each other again. 

Even those things felt distant now. Almost like a dream, or rather, a nightmare. 

Their time together was brief but Amari couldn't recall a happier time in her life. She was like the sun fighting the darkness in Amari's heart and replacing it with a shining light. 

In that way, she was very similar to Hope. Hope may have her own demons, and her own darkness but she still shone like the sun. Simply being around her made Amari feel as though she could overcome all the demons of her past. Hope shone brightly like the sun but if Amari allowed herself to like her, Hope's brightness would become tainted. Amari wouldn't let herself fall for Hope, even if that meant her brightness would have to disappear from her life. 

Amari wasn't sure how she would do that, especially because it's three in the morning and Hope was knocking at her door. 

Amari swung open the door revealing Hope fully dressed dangling a pair of keys. Amari stood in a simple shirt and pair of shorts to complete her nighttime attire. Her curly hair was pulled into a ponytail at the top of her head.  "Up for an adventure? I'll explain in the car." 

Amari liked that she had somehow become Hope's partner in crime and she would love to keep their rebellious streak even if Alaric would have their heads later. "It's 3 A.M and you want me to drive off into the sunrise with you?" Not the best start at cutting Hope out of her life. "I thought you just 'go with the flow' when it comes to my crazy plans." Amari paused for a moment as she watched Hope carefully. Her eyes were filled with worry and Amari would love to ease her mind, as Hope had done for her many times. "I know but midterms are like two days away and I need to cram for Advanced Civics." 

"Since when do you actually care about school?" 

"Since I realized I kinda like it here," Amari said, "I mean it's no underworld but hey, it's alright" Hope laughed lightly at her words. "Alright well, see you when I get back" Amari gave a soft nod. "Yep, oh and I expect a full report of this 'adventure' when you get back" 

"Got it" 

✯¸.•'*¨'*•✿ ✿•*'¨*'•.¸✯

Hours later, Amari found herself seated in the library with Raf. Both of their textbooks were open as they tried to cram information into their minds before the exams. Two hours had passed and Amari felt as if her head would explode if she spent one more second staring at the textbook doing mock quizzes with Raf. She slammed her Physics textbook shut and looked up at Raf who was seated across from her. 

"Five-minute break?" She suggested. "Sure," Raf pulled out a bag of trail mix which Amari stared at in confusion, "Want some? It's trail mix" Amari stuffed a handful in her mouth before Raf started talking again. "I've been meaning to ask, why'd you want to study with me? Honestly, I thought you hated me"

"No, I hate your little leprechaun of a brother, no offense. Plus, Lizzie's with her mom in Europe and I figured you wouldn't make me want to jump off a bridge from studying with you" 

"What about Hope?" Raf questioned. "What about Hope?" Amari asked, getting a little more defensive than she intended. "Why didn't you just ask her?" Amari leaned back in her seat, holding her hand out for more of the snack. "She's on some adventure. I don't know how her grades aren't trash. I mean she's literally always fighting a monster or going on some adventure and-" Amari stopped midsentence as she heard Rafael laughing. "What?" Amari asked, annoyed. "Are you two dating or something?" Amari rolled her eyes. "Why does everyone think that! Me and Hope are just-. We're just friends. Plus, don't you like her?" 

"She's Hope, everyone likes her. But no, she's Landon's ex which makes her off-limits" 

"I feel like you sacrifice a lot for that leprechaun, you're allowed to be selfish sometimes, you get that, right?" 

"Are you encouraging me to go after your crush?" Amari sighed as she threw some more trail mix into her mouth. Maybe she did like Hope. Maybe sometimes she just wants to be around her because she always feels a little happier when they're together. Maybe she does want to be there for Hope as much as she is for her. Maybe. 

But she can't. Hope is a dream that Amari can never turn into a reality. Being around her is dangerous because Amari is the daughter of Arcadius. One day, she'll go back to the underworld where she belongs. And Hope will somehow end up with Landon. Amari and Hope were never supposed to meet. They aren't supposed to be together and it's selfish of Amari to want that. When it comes to Hope, Amari won't allow herself to be selfish because Hope doesn't deserve the monster that is Amari. In Amari's eyes, Hope deserves the world and no matter how badly Amari wants to give it to her, she can't. They aren't meant for each other and Amari will keep telling herself that until she believes it. 

"She's not my crush. Do what you want." 

────── {.author's note .} ────── ⊰ 

hey, i really want to talk to you guys so leave some questions in the comments and I'll answer them all!

also, i have a My Hero Academia fic out as well as a Haikyuu fic so if any anime fans read this, please check those out!

also, amari really said *gay panic* in this chapter and i felt that