Chapter One: A Trial?

UNEDITED

"Cole, it's time for breakfast!" I rushed downstairs, pulling on a pair of pants as I tumbled down. "Be more careful!" His aunt shouted and he grinned.

"Sorry Aunt Lia." Icalled as i sat down at the table full of pancakes. I shoved them in my mouth as fast as I'm could as my aunt came in with the mail.

"You got a letter." She smiled and tossed me it. I grinned and ripped the packaging, not caring to look at the address.

"You've been accepted to the Magisterium... wow look, I've been accepted to a school!" Her head whipped around and she snatched one of the papers.

She scanned frantically and paled. "No no no no..." She kept repeating over and over as I slid the rest in my pocket. "Tomorrow?! Oh hell no you ain't!" She growled and ripped it up. My eyes widened and my mouth parted in shock.

"Wha...?" I stumbled as she looked through some drawers up top.

"Hell no. I've worked too hard to keep my family from this. How did this even happen?" She muttered as she ripped open the phone book. "Hello, Rufus? This must be a mistake. It's not? Fuck you. He's not coming." With that she hung up and stormed out of the room. I slowly went up to my room and pulled out the remaining papers. Why is this such a problem? I looked at it more. Tomorrow at 10... but she won't take me.

I rip open my wallet and pull out the $50 Aunt Lia gave me for my birthday. There should be a bus ticket to Virginia. I bite my lip and plan to wake up around 4. I go to school and it was normal. No weird occurrences. When I got home Lia was frantic. She was muttering stuff and shutting the windows and locking the doors.

"Hey Aunt Lia, what're you doi-" a knock on the door cut me off and Aunt Lia cursed.

She opened the door and I saw a large person in robes at the door. "Will, get away from me." She growled and went to shut the door but the man slammed his hand against the door, keeping it open. Her eyes widened and she stepped away.

"Lia, the boy needs to be trained." He growled and she glared.

"No. You don't know half of what that boy has gone through. I've tried my best for 6 years trying to erase the damage our brother did to him, but it will never be enough. Please, just let him be a normal kid. You can meet him, but not in the way you want." I step down the stairs and creep into the hallway.

"Hey aunt Lia." I fall and her head whips around. She smiles warmly.

"Yeah?"

"Something's wrong with my phone." I mumble and show her. There were calls from unknown numbers blowing up my phone.

"God dammit." She growled and showed the man. "What the hell William?"

The man pursed his lips. "That is not my doing."

"Of course it isn't." Aunt Lia scoffed. "It never is."She turned to me and smiled, ruffling my hair. "We're having pizza for dinner, Champ. Sausage?"

"You know it!" She grinned and kissed my head. I left and went back to listening through the holes in the staircase.

"Does he remember anything?" He whispers and my aunt shakes her head.

"No. Now please leave before I call the authorities Will."

"But-"

"No. Bye now." She slams the door in his face and collapses against it.

"Are you ok Aunt Lia?" I ask quietly as she gazed at me warily.

"I'm not. I'll tell you why tomorrow." I nod, knowing that I won't be there when she wakes up tomorrow.

Being curious has always gotten me into trouble. But maybe this once it won't.