RAFIA

————————————————————

PROMPT:

You wake up in a jail cell, crusted blood covering your hands. You have no idea how you got there. The cell door clangs open, and an officer walks you to an interrogation room where two detectives wait to question you. 

————————————————————

WORD MEANINGS

P E E L E R - policeman

G O B - mouth

————————————————————

WHITECHAPEL PRISON, EAST END, LONDON,

1 8 8 8

————————————————————

YOU AWOKE TO THE DEMONS RAGING.

Steady. Blinking once, twice. Slowly, making sense of the world. The shouting. What in the Lord's name was the shouting?

When the world started to make sense, you find yourself leaned back on a hard surface. A tattered mattress, no doubt, aching your back, your legs, your behind.

Groaning, you sat up straighter, settling behind the walls.

You looked back at the room.

White.

The walls. The floor. The furniture.

All of it. Just a simple, odd, white.

Furrowing your brows, you raised your hands, trying to take the crisp clean sheets off when you release them, seeing faded red stains on the material.

Your eyes widened.

"What the—"

You looked at your hands, and you parted your mouth.

Red. Crusted with what seemed like blood. The metallic tang was clear, almost as if you could taste it on your tongue.

What is blood doing on my hands?

And why can I taste it?

Your eyes darted for any sort of answer — the barred window, the toilet sitting alone in the corner, the desk and chair, your woolen long coat hanging from its edge. The scent of cheap perfume lingered in the air, faux roses and heartbreak latching onto your nose.

A light flickered above you. You glanced up, and it stopped, flaring white light and blinding you into averting your eyes.

"Where...am I?" You rasped out to yourself, your sight lowering to your dirtied hands once more, a million questions infiltrating your mind. "Why...why in hell am I here?"

A jingling of keys was your answer, rattling against the iron bars. You questioned those too, the prison-like room you found yourself in.

What is this place? Why am I in jail?

"Dr. Jung," a gruff voice called your name, and you saw a man enter the room.

He stared at you.