Chapter 1: The Dream

I was in the dark place, surrounded by ashes. It was cold, silent and there’s an awful smell like rotting meat or something. I always see there’s a woman in my dream sitting on a large stone and muttered some words that I don’t even understand. I can’t see her face as it was covered with black hood. When she speak those words, I feel a sharp pain on my arm and my neck. It feels like she’s feeding from me. I always get so tired each time I woke up. I also see a lot of dark figure around me, like they’re keeping me inside their circle and block me from getting out of it.
This is a story I keep telling my psychiatrist every time my visit. There’s nothing new or old, just on the same page. I’m having trouble sleeping since I was 13. I don’t know how and I don’t know why it keeps happening to me. This cause me afraid of going to sleep because I’m afraid of the dream. My family didn’t believed me when I told them for the first time. But when they encountered me screaming in a middle of the night, with tears rolling down my cheeks they believe me.
“How would you know the person muttered the words is a woman?” Dr Mitchell ask me. She’s been my doctor for two years but nothing progress happen to me. I’m tired of swallow the pills that she gives me. I always get the dream.
“I just… know” I reply to her. She look at me with a smile and write something on her notes. “Well Mia, I will add prescription to your medicine alright. I’ll see you next Friday.” She get up and walk me to the door. She got nothing to say because she don’t understand my condition. That’s for sure.
I sit at the waiting room, waiting for my medicine. All the hospital staff give me a concern look each time they pass me. My case is one of the most popular case they’ve got. 2 years of treatment and no progression.
“Hey, Mia Stanford right?” I look up and there, I see the guy I have a crush on for so long, Alex Copeland, the popular kid in my school. He play basketball and the president of the English book club. I know, as charming he is, he loves reading. That makes all the girls in my school crazy for him, including me. Those eyes never fail to mesmerize me. I didn’t realize that I was staring at him until his hand waving to my face. “Yes. I’m Mia. Alex right?” I speak up pretending not to have a crush on him. Alex smile and take a sit next to me. “What are you doing here?” When he pops up this question, I don’t want him to know the truth otherwise he will think that I am a freak and that’s the last thing I want him to think about me. “I just picking up some vitamins for me” I awkwardly smile. “What are you doing here?” I ask him back the question. “I’m waiting for my mom. She have an appointment with Dr Jean for her regular check-up”.  I just nod and silence fill between us. I was about to start a new conversation when the lady at the counter calls my name for my medicine. I get up and take it. He smile at me as I'm walking to the exit door. For some reason, I forget about my problem when I’m with him.