ii. Official Meetings And Accidental Outings

I walked down the stairs to my apartment with Benjamin so that him and I could just hang out and get away from that awful apartment of his.

It obviously wasn't that his apartment looked awful or was dirty or something, but more so about how eerie that apartment felt to be in. Being in there reminded me of why I wanted to move in the first place. To be fair, my own apartment reminded me of that too.

Looking over at the glass door of the building, I notice a familiar male face that was pressed against the tinted glass. I must have been making a face because Benjamin sent me a questioning look before following my gaze to the door.

"Isn't that the guy who-" Benjamin started to ask, and I finished the sentence for him. We both knew who it was. It was Pete.

"Who thought we fucked, yes. That's him," I said with a small roll of my eyes as I watched Pete point at the door handle frantically and mouth the words 'open it'. Benjamin let out a small chuckle and nodded.

"Should we open the door for him?" He asked, pulling at the edge of his sleeve.

I shrugged at his question. I really had no reason to not want Pete to hang around us except maybe the fact that he loved to point out if people had obvious sexual tension or if someone was obviously into another person. That could be a bit of a problem seeing as I was, quite stupidly, head over heels in love with the man who stood next to me.

"Not unless you want him to make unnecessary sexual comments about us," I said, sending a small glare to Pete who was dramatically banging on the door. If he continued like that, he'd break the glass.

"I think he's about to start fake crying. We should open the door. If you don't mind," Benjamin said, his eyebrows furrowing in a frown as his eyes flitted between me and the wreck of a man that stood outside.

"I was afraid you'd mind. I mean, you don't know him and I wasn't sure if you would be comfortable with hanging out with him," I said softly, making Benjamin give me a small smile.

"I don't mind, especially since you're here with me. I appreciate you worrying about how I feel, though," He said, giving me a pat on my shoulder before going to open the door for Pete. I felt a small smile stretch onto my lips and my heart skipped a beat.

As the door opened and Benjamin allowed Pete to step inside, the man hugged Benjamin, catching him completely off guard just like how he did when the two first met. I would have laughed at Benjamin's deer-in-headlights expression if I hadn't noticed him wince as his hand accidentally collided with the door as it closed.

Just then, I was painfully aware of the wound on my thigh that no longer hurt at all but still needed some time to fully heal. And as I became aware of the wound, I remembered the story behind it once again, as if it hadn't been haunting my mind every second of every day for the last month.