Chapter 2

"Veronica? Veronica!" Lincoln yelled.

Micheal and Liz shotted their head toward the entrance of the warehouse and they ran inside. They had found a warehouse near the city. With the other escapees, they were staying there to be away from the general population and so from the police. Lincoln left to call Veronica and Michael was thinking of what to do when he and Liz heard Lincoln's shouts. When they reached him, Lincoln was sitting on the cement floor. He was really distraught and shocked and was breathing heavily. Michael squatted down next to him and put a hand on his brother's shoulder.

"They killed her. They killed her, Michael... They killed Veronica..." Lincoln breathed. His eyes were empty, lost. He was empty. The woman he loved was dead now. They killed her. The love of his life. The pain he was feeling was indescribable. It was like someone was ripping him off. It was like someone tore off his heart from his body. He was hoping to see her again after the breakout, he was hoping to feel her, to say how much he loved her. But that will never happen. Because they took her away from him. Forever.

Michael said nothing. He just looked at Lincoln, trying to process the information. He opened his mouth but nothing came out. He couldn't say a thing. He was speechless. And hurt. He grew up with Veronica. She was a close friend he cared for.

Liz's heart stopped beating. Her lungs couldn't work anymore. She grabbed the railing next to her to help her stand. Veronica Donavan, her best friend died. No, she was killed. They grew up together, they did everything together. She was her partner in crime, her sister. They were here for each other when they were hurt. They were there when they were happy. But now, she was dead. She was killed. Then it was like something hit her and she realized. Her best friend was killed. Veronica was no longer there. Tears quickly made their way to her eyes as she put a hand to her mouth. She clenched her jaw and closed her eyes trying to not breakdown. Sadly, it wasn't time to mourn. It was cruel, but they were on a runaway and they needed to be fully operational to be prepared for any situation. Now, they didn't have any effect of surprise. They didn't know what could happen.

~~

Michael had left to brought food. They needed to regain strength to continue tho run away from the police. And only food could bring them enough strength. It was risky since Micheal had to go back to town in the middle of the general population. Their faces were everywhere. Liz had proposed to go instead of him but he refused. He asked her to look after Lincoln. But it was also because he didn't want her to be in trouble.

Lincoln was near a window and Liz was in front of him.

"She wanted to prove my innocence and it costs her life..." Lincoln said, looking at nothing in particular.

"Don't feel guilty, Linc. It's not your fault." Liz tried to comfort him. "When you and Michael will be safe in Panama, I'll try my best to do justice to you and V,"

"You'll end up dead," He said, looking at her. He didn't want to loos someone he cared for again. Liz was like a little sister to her.

"They have to catch me first," She smirked making Lincoln laugh. Then, Sucre and C-Note came. They seemed quite worried and unsure.

"What's the plan, man?" C-Note asked.

"No bars on these doors, do what you like," Lincoln said, still shaken by Veronica's death.

"We're supposed to be in Mexico right now, sipping on margaritas waiting for the heat to dip. That was the plan." C-Note replied, kind of annoyed. Lincoln just looked away without answering.

"See? They just used us to dig, man. We're gophers." C-Note added.

"Where's Michael?" Sucre asked.