[02] two turtle doves

Holly couldn’t wait for the final school bell to ring; she would finally be able to begin the hunt and check something off of her list.

        This time, the hunt would be different than the one’s she’d done in previous years. Luke Ebenezer, her enemy (with luscious hair), would be accompanying her. Though she was nervous, her curiosity gnawed at her. She tended to act on impulse when she was overexcited, and Luke could barely tolerate her normal behavior.

        As Holly dutifully finished her Christmas poem in English, the last thing she’d expected was a stammering Luke to approach her desk, shifting from one foot to the next. Mrs. Delmont watched in amazement.

        This happened in simply one detention? I truly am incredible. Though it was tempting to break out in well needed applause, Mrs. Delmont continued to peer at the two from behind her book and smile at her handiwork.

         “...Should I have brought anything?” Luke mumbled awkwardly, scratching his neck.

        “Nope,” Holly replied smoothly, pretending not to notice how strange he was acting. “Only a wholesome Christmas spirit,” she closed her notebook. “If you even think to be rude to me during our expedition, you’re out."

        Grinning, Luke seemed to relax. “Am I ever rude you?” he teased.

        Holly snorted. “If you haven’t noticed, you’re always are; especially during the holidays. What are you, the Grinch?” She resisted the urge to laugh at her own joke.

        An awkward silence consuming them, Luke looked down at his sneakers. Clearing his throat, he finally met her gaze.

        “I’ll, um, meet you at the front,” he said quietly, speeding towards his seat.

        Though Holly tried not to dwell on it, she couldn’t help but stare at the raven haired boy in utter confusion. Why would he walk of like that? She decided to shrug it off, placing her notebook into her bag.

. . .

        Holly waved Luke over to her until they were both standing in the front foyer. Zipping up his jacket, he met Holly’s gaze.

        “So,” he started, slipping his backpack over both his arms. “What do we do first?”

        Suddenly the situation dawned on Holly; she barely knew Luke Ebenezer. What in the world was she doing with him in the first place?

        Swallowing, she shook her head. It’s for Christmas, she reminded herself. The poor soul doesn’t even realize what he’s missing.

        Holly forced a smile.  “We board the next bus, and then we catch a train.”

        “I’ve never been downtown.” Luke sighed.

        Holly’s jaw dropped, her eyes widening comically. “Never? I’m honestly questioning what you’re doing with your life.”

        Luke laughed, his head tipped backwards as the sound echoed through the relatively empty space. “You’re quite straight forward, Ms. Mistletoe.”

        “I, um, I’m not always this straight forward,” she stumbled over her words, as if speaking her mind was a bad thing.

        Why was she trying to justify herself to Luke Ebenezer?

        He either didn’t notice her inner turmoil, or didn’t care. Breezing passed her out the door, she ran to catch up to him. “Tell me then, wise Holly; what’s so wonderful about downtown Toronto?”