another day and another delivery

His eyes darted from the dashboard to the neon ghosts in the distance. The two giants above him peered through the smog above. The red giant on his windshield reminded him how much time he had left. And the white giant reminded him that he wasn't supposed to be working today.

And yet here he was, hands clenching the wheel, putting the pedal to the metal so much, his foot might as well just break through the bottom of his car.

He could see lights from the city pulsating to a tune he couldn't hear. But the dense smog blocked the skyline of the city, so all he saw was just lights. The street lights outside were streaks from that of a paintbrush. It was surreal having to go this fast.

It felt as if someone had remotely upped the exposure of his eyes. Like someone does with a dial on a camera. It was even weirder to think of a body part as a machine, even more so, that it was a machine aided by an artificial machine. But it would surprise many outside of the states, how easily technology became a part of culture.

There was a sign in the distance that showed that if he kept going forward, he'd end up in Expocity. But his destination was on the outskirts of the city, where it should be calmer than the city itself.

As he got closer and closer to the sign, he noticed that there were holes in the sign itself. Holes of varying sizes haphazardly placed on the face of the sign. Bullet holes, he realized, all of different calibers.

He was a bit unnerved, but he knew he wasn't going there. So there was nothing to worry about. Hopefully.

He saw multiple pairs of sky-blue tinted headlights come from the other side of the road. All of which were jet-black Cadillacs, all driving in a single-file line. Almost perfectly blending in with the night. If it weren't for the light from the white-giant overhead.

Each car had a machine gun mounted on the top, operated by men in blood-stained tees. Which oddly almost resembled the red-polo he wore as part of his uniform. Fortunately they were pointed in the direction they came and not toward him.

He wondered if the people who drove them modified the cars themselves, or if Cadillac actually made and shipped a custom model of one of their own cars to the neon-lit after party-esque inner-city. As even though this city was not the ideal place for a family, it did have its business opportunities.

After the cars on the other side left his view, he still heard the sounds of a low-rumbling engine that wasn't his. He checked the dashboard and saw nothing out of the ordinary.

He checked the side-mirror to make sure the Cadillacs were out of view. But now he saw another car's dirty-yellow headlights. It bolted to the lane right next to him and accelerated forward. It's engine roared into the night as it did so.

He could feel the steering wheel shake in place even more as the car passed him. Which was either due to the absurdly loud music that guy was playing, or the almost one foot wide exhaust that guy had on. It had the color scheme of bright yellow and a cyan. An excellent choice for grabbing anyone's attention, and having their eyes bleed afterward.

"What are you-" he asked himself, before noticing the car's tail lights growing larger and larger

His eyes widened and whipped his car to the right so he wouldn't cause a crash. But his car wasn't as good as his reaction time. The tires didn't have the best grip on the road. As they've probably been the same tires the last two drivers used. He then heard the shrieking sound of metal grinding against one another and then a POP sound.

He has yet to install the latest update onto the car, which included live-reports of his car whenever he asked. A technology in which all vehicles these days have, pre-installed. Due to the fact that his boss prefers the old way of driving. He recalls his boss saying that "cars these days have pointless things that just make the car slower and less efficient."