Breaking Barriers - A oneshot

"I like you. I've been meaning to tell you this for quite some time already, but I never had the courage to speak out my feelings."

Dahyun could not keep count on how many times she has rehearsed this line ever since her high school years. She has these lingering feelings for her best friend, and for some reason, she's afraid of the consequences of her much-awaited confession.

They have been by each other's side for ten years. They have seen each other's most embarrassing , most sorrowful, most exciting, and most delightful moments. They have shared tears, smiles, and laughter. In fact, they are even taking the same course in their university.

Their similarities, shared experiences, and long time proximity are enough reasons to explain as to why Dahyun has fallen for him. Deep inside her, she's hoping that he also feels the same. But it seems as if he only sees her as a friend and nothing more.

Heaving out a sigh, she sat down on the bench right outside the building of their library, leaning her back against it as she closed her eyes.

"Was our exam that hard for you?" The very reason why Dahyun has been contemplating for years has appeared right in front of her, placing a cold can of apple juice on her forehead.

She abruptly sat straight as she grabbed the juice from his hand that's holding it against her now slightly wet forehead.

"You know me, Taehyung. I always worry after every test." Dahyun partly lied. Even God knows the reason why she's been looking stressed since this morning. It's all because of the man who's now sitting beside her with a cheeky smile on his face.

Taehyung tilted his head, inching closer to her as he ruffled her hair, leaving Dahyun with flushed cheeks.

"You're the top student in our course. I don't think you have to worry about the results of our final exam."

Dahyun felt as if there's something blocking her throat. She could not let out a response. Not when he's still leaning close to her with that beautiful smile. She will never get used to the butterflies in her stomach whenever Taehyung invades her personal space.

Blinking her eyes, she finally managed to clear her throat as she lightly pushed him away.

Taehyung chuckled, leaning his back against the bench.

"What shall we do today?" Dahyun voiced out.

Aside from her plan of telling him her feelings, she wants to spend the last day of the semester with the usual activities they do — playing arcade games, cafe hopping despite the fact that they both could not handle caffeine, taking strolls around some parks and lakes where they could take a lot of photos and just enjoy the scenery.

There was silence between them for quite a few seconds. Dahyun did not fail to notice how he was biting his lower lip in anxiousness, his fingers fiddling with the sleeves of his white crisp polo shirt.

"Taehyung?" She called out his name, waking him up from his thoughts that Dahyun is eager to know about.

He forced a smile as he sighed, finally looking at her again.

Dahyun furrowed her brows, wondering why he is acting weird.

"A junior asked me out on a date." He said, making her eyes widen, shock and hurt written all over her face, which of course, she hoped that Taehyung would not notice.

"Oh. I understand." Dahyun mumbled, shifting her gaze off him and onto the ground.

"Should I come?" Taehyung's question made her turn to look at him once again. This time with a questionable expression.