05

I didn't know where I was headed

After I jumped out of Anna's window, I let my feet take me away from the scene. I ran and ran until my lungs gave out. I barely missed being caught by the cops as I sprinted out of the Songs' estate.

When I reached a far enough distance, I emptied the gun of bullets and I carelessly threw the gun away at a nearby garbage bin at the back of a restaurant. Because it was past midnight, I wasn't seen by anyone.

My breaths were heavy as I sprinted away again until I grew tired and managed a walk, my thoughts providing me company.

I wasn't even going back to the apartment. I was just walking with no destination in mind.

The rain didn't cease. I was shivering and I could already feel a cold coming, but maybe it was one of the punishments I would receive for what I did. To that lady. To Anna. "I killed Anna," I whisper to myself over and over again. That one sentence on a loop.

I was drenched from head to toe from the rain with blood on my hands.

The gun was the only thing I had from my father. When I was a teenager, he brought me to a shooting range where we would practice shooting guns at a target. "Wow, Yeon Joon! A couple of years more and I should sign you up for the Olympics or something." My father gushed when I hit another bullseye. At that time, I was 16 years old and had only been practicing for one year.

Funny that the thing that once brought me pride would be the reason for my downfall. For me to hit rock bottom.

Suddenly, I became sober with the realization of the act I had committed. I had some anger issues, sure, but I never thought...

When the strong downpour became a soft drizzle, I let myself sink down to the pavement. My eyes were no longer focused as I sat there hugging my knees and shivering from the cold.

The salty tears were mixed with the raindrops. The only visible sign that I had been crying were my bloodshot eyes and probably anguished expression on my face.

"Hey, you!"

Startled at the loud voice, I looked up. I didn't notice it before, but in front of me was a tent bar. I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion. Weren't they supposed to be closed by now? It was past midnight.

As I expected, there weren't any customers inside. The voice came from the old lady inside. Probably the owner. She had a welcoming look on her face and seemed to be beckoning me inside.

I immediately shook my head no and looked away.

"Come inside, Mister. You look like you could use some food in your stomach. And something to drink, as well?" She called out, a knowing look on her face.