Never trust a smile

Back in the days when I was a child, my parents told me to always smile. I carried around that simple request as I grew older.

When I first started to walk, I smiled. My parents looked so proud of me.

When I made my first friends at school, I smiled as a friendly gesture.

When my family took me to the amusement park, I grinned in excitement.

When my dog successfully did the trick I taught him, I smiled and gave him a soft pat on the head.

When I got the Christmas present that I always wanted, I grinned and thanked my parents.

When I aced the test I studied hard for, I smiled contentedly but strived to do better.

When my mother died, I smiled bitterly at her funeral. I remembered the words she said to me a while back and planned to maintain my promise.

When a group of boys at school bullied me, I only smiled. It only pissed them off more, they called me a freak. Eventually, they stopped and got tired of my consistent reaction.

When a girl confessed to me, I smiled, that smile seems to charm them.

When we thought we were losing that soccer match, I smiled. I wanted to motivate them. We won in the end, making my smile grow wider.

When my father died, I smiled. I heard that even if a smile is fake, it still boosts your mood. It makes your brain think that you're not upset.

When I was out playing poker with the guys, I made sure to put a smile on my face. That way, they can never truly read me.

When I looked at the mirror, I smiled, satisfied at my appearance. I looked so... innocent and approachable. Of course, I wore the smile that had been hiding plenty of things behind it for so long. My signature, no one had figured it out yet.

You see, I'm looking for someone like me. Someone who will always smile, even at the face of death. I thought Mom and Dad were like me, but they weren't. What a bunch of hypocrites, they can't even do what they tell others to do.

Want to stay safe? When I attempt to kill you, I'll be having a wide grin the whole time. All you need to do is return it. I don't like wailing, whining, terrified people. Of course, there's no guarantee that I won't hurt you, but if you smile, I surely won't kill you. Don't think that I'll let you go so easily though; if I do that, all my efforts would be wasted. Once you return the smile, you'll be helping me in finding people like us.

Yes, us, welcome to the club. There are many others before you who have already joined. Some of which you may actually already know. Be wary of your target though, you might be their target too.

:) I'm smiling at you.