Prologue

"Are you finished, Scar?" Nick asked. Scarlett was sitting with her friends at lunch, and (as always) gave a brief presentation on System of a Down, like their history, and unknown facts. "Maybe, Nick. But did you know Daron was only 19 when he joined the band?" Messiah looked over at her. "That's great. Does she want a cookie?" Scarlett's face flared up. "He, Messiah. He." Messiah smirked. "Yeah, I see the look on your face when you watch live concerts and Daron sways his hips. You think he's soooo cuuute." Javier shook his head and laughed silently. "Especially when she heard that one live version of Cigaro." Scarlett's face flared up a deeper shade of red.

"Don't you fucking dare." They all started quietly singing, off key and obnoxiously. "My cock... Is much bigger than yours... My cock will make you walk on all fours..." Scarlett rolled her eyes. Noah, who looked alot like Daron elbowed her. "We're all kidding y'know, teasing?" Evan smirked. "Though you would love to touch him wouldn't you?" Scarlett rolled her eyes. "Screw off." Jacob tried to keep laughter in, but he couldn't, and sounded like a tea kettle on the stove. "Your reaction is annoying. Stop laughing."

"Yo, Mark!" Noah said. "Yeah, what d'ya want, shithead?" Scarlett knew what was going to go down. "I'll pay you uh..." He reached in his pockets. "10 dollars and a phoenix bandana if you imitate Daron." Mark did that in a heartbeat. Mark sounded like Daron, which creeped her out. Sometimes they would mess with her like this, but she had her ways of getting back. Mark leaned closer to Scarlett. He coughed and imitated him almost perfectly. "C-Come on, Scarlett... You can have me... Just admit you like me... That simple..." Scarlett blushed. "Fine, I like Daron Malakian." Mark continued to imitated him. "No, you gotta love me... And say it like you mean it..." She crossed her arms and gave in. "Fine. I love Dar..." Mark stopped. "Ok, Mark, now that you're done, I'm going to tell the whole 8th grade you have a crush on Corey Taylor." Mark widened his eyes. "NONONONO! THAT'S NOT FAIR!" They all laughed.

~~

"How was school, Scar?" Darrell asked. She shrugged. "Fine. Friends still on my ass about Daron." They were at home alone, as long as that were the case, they could say the n-word for all their dad cared. "Good and bad news." Scarlett looked up. "Spill it." She popped one earbud in and listened to one of her favorites, Deer Dance. "Ok, good news, I got DNA tests for all three of us." She scrolled through her seemingly never ending album of nothing but pictures of Daron. "Bad news?" Darrell winced. "It takes a week to get full results..." She shrugged. "Ok? So?" He shrugged. "Meh, I dunno. Get the speaker, we're gonna blast this shit through the neighborhood!" She was good at following orders.

~~5 days later...

"Wow, they came back STUPID fast!" Scarlett seemed concerned. She was looking at her heritage. Darrell noticed. "Hey, sis, what's got your beehive a buzzin'?" She shook her head. "It's weird... Dad didn't have any Middle Eastern blood in him, and my mom is as pale as a ghost." Darrell lifted an eyebrow. "Yeah, me neither. Maybe our grandparents?" She shook her head. "No, you would have gotten it too." Darrell shrugged. "Ok, you're also not Cherokee Indian, I am. That explains my magnificent hair." He winked.

Scarlett knew this was something more than that. She needed to look deeper. And she sure as hell was going to find out.

****

"Nooooo...." Serj said. Shavo was high as hell, so was everyone else. "Bullshit. I'm the only one here who knows what it's like to have a child." Daron completely ignored the whole conversation. He just stared at John. He hated the subject. "Something wrong Daron?" He shook his head. "No, man I'm good."

Daron was not ok. Far from it. He had something he had on his mind. Fuck off, thoughts. He was high. "Are you still seriously thinking about her? She's been gone, for what? 13 years?" "She was in love with another man!" He quickly snapped.

He stood up and stormed to his room. He got out an envelope, some paper, and a pen and started writing:

Dear Catherine, you ungrateful bitch...