2. When One Door Closes

April 5th, 2007

Merrimac, Virginia

145 FT B.S.L

"Hey Boss, how's it going?" Dan twisted in his chair, looking at the man that was taking off his hat. They had been an inside operation for a few years now, but he had never seen his boss in such a frenzy. Though, he supposed, it seemed understandable. Business was slow, and Jax failed to get more customers. "What's wrong this time?"

Jaxon turned, shrugging off his coat. "Nothing is wrong." He paused, looking at Dan. "Tell me. Have you heard of the Broker?"

Daniel stilled, his smile falling. He threw a glance at his boy in the corner, who backed into the shadows. The Broker was a legend among their line of business. There wasn't a soul in this industry that hasn't heard of him. He, or she, Dan had always thought either to be a possibility, remained totally anonymous, and offered to find anyone in the world. For a truckload of money, of course. But the Broker was still legendary. Being the 'matchmaker' to pair his clients with people that he would then pay to work for him. The business was ideal. Frankly, Dan had always wondered how no one came up with it before. Until the Broker.

"What about him?" Dan had to tread lightly when it came to people like that. The same way he was invisible, the Broker could make anyone disappear and no one would ever be able to find them. Or take their loved ones. He shot another glance at the boy.

"The Broker has offered us a job. One of his clients needs something done." Jax hung his hat and sighed. It was a long, tired sigh. One that spoke of the hard months that they faced ahead, and the ones already behind them. He ran a hand across his now balding head. Dan knew exactly what kind of job Jax referred to. At first, he had thought the whole thing to be cruel and inhuman. But over the years, it became easier. And now, he almost enjoyed the killing and destroying that he was hired for.

Dan sighed. "It's a lot of money. It could get us out of debt, and back on our feet." Jax put a hand on his shoulder. "Come on. You said you're used to it by now. This is what we do."

"I know, I know. And the Broker knows it, too." Dan replied. "But on what feet, Jax? No one hires us anymore. I doubt they even know we exist, now that the Broker has come into the picture." At the sight of Jax's expression, Dan groaned. "But I bet he took care of that too, didn't he?"

Jax spun his chair around so that Dan faced him. "Listen up. You don't get to talk to me like that. I hired you, so you do not get to question my decisions. If I tell you to go, you go. Understand?" Dan sat there, staring at Jax. After a while, he nodded. "Good. And for the record, you should get used to hearing his name around here, because he just hired us permanently."

Dan didn't say anything when Jax stormed out of the room. He looked at the boy in the corner and motioned him to come forward. "Did he see me?" The boy asked, his voice small. Dan smiled, and put a hand on his shoulder.

"No. Good job, son. You're a natural." Dan smiled again, and handed his son the file that Jax had given to him. "Now, I want you to read this file, and when you're done, you'll tell me about it. You'll learn quickly, Kaden. You'll learn quickly."

__________

October 29th, 2019

Roanoke, Virginia

Unknown Street

The weather was cold. Grey clouds moved overhead. Kaden exhaled, his breath white against the air, his shoulders hunched from the cold. Who, out of all the Broker's clientele, would choose such a cold place to meet? Though he couldn't complain, given the fact that it was late in the year, and winter was coming. There was no sign of the client, and Kaden was becoming impatient.