3

A few weeks passed since that night. Mark would come to the café nearly every day, and the two of you would talk to one another until he left to get back to YouTube. You'd talk on the days that you didn't work, too- the two of you would leave to get mail at the same time, see each other, and talk for a while in the hallway.

You've never met someone like Mark before. Sweet, kind, funny Mark. He was the fastest friend you've ever had, and you enjoyed every moment you spent with him. He made you feel alive, for the first time in years.

It was early on a Saturday morning. Your alarm rang for you to get up, and when you opened your eyes you got an instant headache. You turned off your alarm and rolled out of bed, quickly shutting the curtains. Your headache slowly went away, and you sighed- today was one of those days. You grabbed your phone to call Dave as you walked into the kitchen to take your medications.

"Morning, (Y/n). What's up?"

"I don't think I can make it today."

"Ah, so it's one of those days. Don't worry about it- we were over staffed anyway, and Angel was supposed to work with us. I'll make sure you get your paycheck."

"Thanks, Dave, you're a lifesaver."

"Don't mention it. Get some rest." He hung up the phone.

You sighed again before getting a glass of water and taking two Tylenol's, along with your morning medications. You set the glass in the sink, making a mental note to clean up later, and started to make your way back to bed when a loud knock was heard from the door. You groaned, quickly walking over and throwing the door open.

"Please stop." You whispered. You looked up and saw it was Mark. "Oh. Sorry."

"Is this a bad time? I know you're usually getting ready for work at this time."

You shook your head. "No, you're fine. I'm not going to work today."

He tilted his head in confusion. "You never call off work."

"I just feel sick today."

Mark's eyes were wide. "Oh. Is there anything I can do for you?"

"No, but thanks for asking. What did you need?"

He shook his head. "It can wait until you're feeling better-"

"No, don't play that game. Tell me."

He sighed. "Well... I might have told one of my best friends that I have a girlfriend."

"And you don't." You raised an eyebrow. "How does this relate to me?"

"He's coming to LA tomorrow."

"...are you asking me to be your stand-in girlfriend?"

"Just for a day!" Mark said. "I'll owe you one. Please?"

You sighed. "Fine. Okay. What do you want me to do?"

"Just be yourself. Don't worry about impressing him. And come over at around noon."

"Sure. I'll be there."

"Great!" He hesitated briefly, then pulled you in for a quick hug. "And I'll come by later to check up on you, if it's okay with you."

"I'll be fine, Mark. You don't have to worry about me."

"If you say so. Get some rest, (Y/n). I'll see you later." You smiled slightly at him before closing the door.