A Toast To Misfits

Life is so complex. You know that right? Like, one moment you think you know everything. You think the choices you make are for the best. Then, boom. Ten years down the track you look back at the mess you've created. You can't help but laugh as the stream of tears drip down your cheek. The problem is, you know you can't stop it. There is nothing you can do but wipe your face. Smile and move on. But why move on when you can live with the bittersweet memories of the past that you yourself created? That's the dilemma I'm living in and I may just stay here forever, who knows? Only time will tell...

The lime green bus moves past me as I shield myself from the blinding sun. Sweat clings onto my once pristine white blouse. I swing my duffle bag around my hip and let out a sigh at the golden fort in front of me: exquisite. The place that has defined the last 6 months of my life: work, no freedom and miss unpopularity. As I cross the empty street I gaze at the peeling yellow that covers the concrete wall and the unlikely match of dark green paint on the windowpane.

The entrance itself looks grand and spacious, set out like a semi-pentagon; three sets of glass doors surround the courtyard-like front. Ironically though, only one door ever opens. The building is three times the size one would expect a cafe to be; yet somehow the clutter of hoarded 'decorations' inside gives you the feeling that the space is just right. 

To the right, an array of tables and seating to seat a good fifty guests, accompanied by a Wild West themed dance floor. A cowboy bearing a gun eyes me from above. A human sized Elvis head smiles at the pool table that makes the majority of the left wing. Finally, centre forth is giant marble counter, hidden by a light box that advertises exquisite and a four-foot figure of colosseum. Like I said, this place is a palace of hoarding. I head behind the counter and drop my bag to the floor.

"You're here? About time!" A voice yells from the kitchen.

"Yeah mum. The bus was packed, so I had to wait a bit." I lie. In all honesty, I wanted to chill with my friends for a bit, so I took my time to the bus station.

I turn around and stare at my mother. A very interesting woman she is. Her taste in fashion comprise of three layers of clothing: a green cardigan over a bright pink top and tucked into a brown vest, bootleg jeans, none of which is a match for her shimmering black hair that she chooses to wrap into a bun. She flares her nose.

"I don't want your reasons and excuses. School finishes at five past three. I expected you to be here at three thirty and it's now four. Don't be late again." I roll my eyes and grab my 'work' uniform from my bag.

"I'm going to pick up your brother from day-care and then I have some errands to run." She blabs as she searches for her bag and keys. "Don't hassle Ray. And oh, there's a new staff member that's starting today." She turns to face me "Please be nice and help him out. And for god's sake, go and get changed. Do I have to tell you everything?"

>>>

"So Ray, who is the new recruit?" I pick up an apple and sit on the kitchen bench. Ray picks up a rolling pin and draws thin lines of pastry.

"He is a hospitality student. In his final year." Adorned in a white chef coat and hat, Ray smiles. "Quiet, but confident." He butters the pastry and places them into a tray, then looks back at me. "So, just be nice ok?"

"Be nice?" I laugh. "Oh please, I have no intention of being nice." I bite into the apple "But I do intend to make an impression. One that will make sure our new friend knows exactly who runs this place." I smile.

Ray looks at me concerned. "What exactly-"

"Don't worry, just a late afternoon snack." I jump off the bench and throw my half eaten apple into the bin. I then head into the chiller fridge and grab some supplies: bread, cheese, tomatoes and .... chilli. I lay the items onto the kitchen bench and chop up the chilli and tomato.

"Alright, Ray. Heat up the oven." Ray frowns at me as he plugs in the grill.

"you mean the-" Ray begins, over a distant bell ringing sound.

"Yes, yes." I wave my hand in the air to silence him. "I think someone is here." One of the qualities of our kitchen is that it's tinted, so I'm able to see a tall, caramel complex man in his early twenties wearing a long purple shirt, accompanied by a black cardigan and checked brown pants, leaning on the counter. I rush to the front and smile.

"Good afternoon and welcome to Exquisite." I pace to the register and thump my hands on the top, loud enough to make him straighten up. "Would you like to eat here or takeaway?"

"Hi, I'm Ricky." He grins and pulls out a hand. I stare at it and look back at him, unamused. "Hi Ricky, was that eat here or takeaway?"

"Oh, umm neither. I'm the new staff member." he looks around nervously.

"Oh." I wrap my arms around my chest.

"Welcome." Ray makes his way to the front. He removes his apron and places it on the counter, then leans in to shake Ricky's hand. "You must be the new addition to our team. Come on in we'll show you around. Right, Aryah?" Ray pulls me in for a hug.

"Aryah." Ricky whispers, staring at me for a second before following Ray into the kitchen." I drag myself along too, then stare at the plate of toasties Ray finished preparing and grin.

"Oh Ricky, right?" He turns to look at me, a unique shine in his eyes.

"Before you start." I grab the plate and throw them into his hands.

"They're freshly grilled." He looks at me, confused.

"You see, we love making snacks and we heard there was a new staff member, so what better way to start than to give you a taste of what to expect right?"

'Right" Confused, Ricky grabs a bite and his eyes begin to swell up as he chomps down on the bread.

I burst out in a stream of laughter, followed by Ray's echo of agreement as Ricky places the plate on the bench and reaches for a glass. He fumbles to turn on the tap and skulls down a glass full.

Eyes still streaming, Ricky glares back and I'm frozen, forced to stare into his chocolaty brown eyes.

"It's great." His serious tone sends goosebumps down my arms and I instantly regret my little prank. "Just great."