A Special Birthday Gift

It is almost noon and I am still in my pajamas, my messy curls pulled out of my face. It's Saturday AND it's my birthday, so I decide that I am going to use the morning to just chill. I look out the window at the sparkling snow as I sip my freshly brewed coffee. Though it is freezing outside, I can not wait to go out with my friends tonight. A new bar just opened near my condo and I'm excited to finally check it out. The only thing I really want this year is a fun night with friends, well... and tickets to see Harry Styles. He is touring North America this summer and I am dying to go see him, but the closest show is a five-hour drive. Harry released his second solo album last month and it is the only thing I have listened to since. Each song has left me in awe, the perfect mix of rocking tunes and sad ballads and I have connected with each track. I play the Fine Line vinyl on my record player as my phone begins to ring.

Looking at my phone, I see my mother's picture on the screen. Accepting the call I say, "Hi mom." "Happy Birthday Lucy!" my parents say, my mom in a cheerful voice and my dad in his mundane tone. I smile as I look at their faces in our family picture on the wall. "Thanks guys! I love you so much!" Everyone always said I look like my dad with my dark curly hair, big brown eyes, and olive-colored skin, but I act like my mom with my sass, attitude, and passion. "I'll be down to visit you guys next week," I remind them, "I hope we will be having my favorite birthday meal?" Both my parents are retired, and last year they built a house on a friend's farm, about an hour east of Cincinnati, Ohio where I live. Next weekend, I am planning to visit them overnight, with a special birthday dinner on Sunday. "Lucy, you should have a package at your door," my mom says in a sing-song voice. I open the door to my condo and sure enough, a small brown box had been placed on my mat.

I pick up the box and take it to the table. I open it and begin pulling out the contents. The box is filled with some of my favorite things, a box of popcorn, a bottle of my favorite wine, a champagne scented candle, and a gift card to the local ice cream place. "This is awesome. Thank you," I say. I hear my mom giggle before she says, "There's more..." I remove the envelope, opening it slowly, a bit scared that something might pop out. I pull out a birthday card and as I open it, a folded piece of paper falls to the floor. Reaching down, I pick it up, and as I unfold it, I am shocked at what it says. "Holy Shit!" I shout, and immediately after, I hear my dad in the background, "Language!" A plane ticket with my name on it to Chicago and a ticket for the Harry Styles concert had fallen out of the card. Not only is it a ticket to the concert, it's a ticket in the Cherry Pit, just rows back from the stage. "Happy Birthday Honey," my mom says as I feel tears of joy running down my face. This is the most special birthday gift I have ever received.