London october 2007

After David died in May 2007, I wondered what to do for a memorial. There seemed then and there seems now no better one than to refurbish and republish our 1992 book about Freddie Mercury, THIS IS THE REAL LIFE which has been out of print for several years. David was working on a full memoir of the entirety of his life at the time of his death and so I have extracted the relevant sections concerning the circumstances in which his fateful meeting with Freddie took place and the first, rather too short, draft of his memories of those three years that they were together. I would hate to think that David might be remembered merely for his association with Freddie but as he will never finish the full manuscript of his account of the rest of his full and thoroughly well-lived life and Freddie isn't here either, this book will have to stand the test for both of them. Of their correspondence to prove the depth of their feelings for each other, only some of Freddie's "My dearest and precious cherub - I thought I'd finally get it together and write you my first little card. I hope alls going well with you and go easy on those business lunches or else your going to burst before I can get back to you - youre going to have to fit into one of my cat suits if it kills you (it probably will). The rest of the tour is coming along nicely, but I cant wait to get back, love you and miss you, my love to everyone back home, and take special care oodles of love and kisses'. Freddie. And another: "My dearest, the little boy reminds me of you so much I had to send it for you to see, he's so cute. I hope my little puddings taking care of himself - I can't tell you how much I miss you I sometimes have a fit and start tearing my hair out, no wonder I give Dane and everyone a hard time - But there very good to me. I hope all your plans with business are going well - I do so want you to have a hit on your hands that will give you a lot of confidence (sounds as if Im starting to lecture you already), anyway you get that chubby little arse of yours to work before I see my little cherub again, miss you and love you', - Freddie" And after one of those really rough "My Dearest, I'm sorry about last night but that's because I'm a Dreadful tart! - Love you with all my heart Kisses Merkles xx" Even at the Christmas at the start of their relationship, in more guarded measure: "My Dearest Minnsy, Wishing you a Divine Xmas and a Beautiful New Year - Love you always with all my heart Freddie xx" And so it followed its course, this 'Kind of Madness'. Please don't judge either of them, neither David nor Freddie. They were living through extraordinary times and neither had a map. Even if they had been furnished with a map, I doubt that either would have been capable of or even interested in reading it. Unpalatable matters, unacceptable options and uncomfortable memories were never aired by either of them. When Freddie or David didn't want to talk about something, believe me, it was as though the subject didn't exist. That their relationship was the last chance that either of them had for enjoying a 'normal' life is possibly arguable but I would be pleased to debate it with anyone who cares to form a forum. In short, Freddie got to be too famous and David got too badly burned. That both were scarred by the experience is undeniable.