1 Kulbahinam

Kulbahinam

Taking the 6PM flight, she scrambled upon her stuff. Ngayon pa lamang siya nag-aayos ng gamit. This was the very reason why Filipinos want to be at the airport at least three hours before the flight. But of course, Jeorge values her sleep more than anything.

Napatingin siya sa sariling repleksyon sa salamin. She was wearing a red lipstick, her favorite shade. Her eyebrows were done. Even her cheeks were properly contoured and highlighted. Minsan naaasiwa siya sa sariling hitsura. Her jaws are defined so she hated wearing her hair up. Nakababa palagi ang buhok niya to hide those bulging jaws. Mapanga raw siya, people would say, it’s not very feminine.

Bata pa lamang si Jeorge namulat na siya sa mga salita ng mga tao. Her complexion, a color of honey. It’s always been her biggest insecurity. She was called names before when she was younger, agta, negra and the likes. It was harmless opinions according to them. Away bata lang iyan, natural sa kanila. But it has a long-term effect on her.

Although she believed that she had rebuilt herself from the past, there are still shadows reminding her about these superficial standards that she can't seem to reach. Gabi-gabi ang litanya niya sa sarili, ‘maganda ka’ at ‘enough ka’. And that she doesn’t have to comply to anyone's standard. But she only learned to numb herself.

She bit her lip as she climb down the stairs. Naririnig niya ang mga taong nagsasalita sa TV. There she was, her mother, sitting on a couch, a glass of bourbon on her hand, watching the TV mindlessly.

"Aalis na ako," paalam niya rito.

The woman in her jet-black hair only tipped her head slightly and got back to the TV. Jeorge almost snorted in disbelief. It's as if she only went home to renew her hatred for Helga Carbonell. She can't remember the last time she called her 'mom'. This woman doesn't deserve such an affectionate address. Napailing na lamang siya at iniwan ito.

She was really late for her flight. Fortunately, it was delayed kaya naman nakahabol pa siya. Every seats were taken. Tinignan niya ang boarding pass at tumungo sa kanyang designated na lugar. Bitbit ang kanyang hand-carry sa kaliwa and a cup of coffee on the other. Her mind will not function properly without her shots of espresso.

There was a person on the isle part of the seat. Sa may bintana siya naka-pwesto madalas upang pagmasdan ang ganda ng city lights just after the plane takes off. She turned to the man. He was wearing a specs while encoding something on his laid out laptop.

She was about say something when a group of kids run past her causing her to spill the coffee straight down to the man’s laptop. Gulat na napatayo ang lalaki. His laptop dangling on his hand and drips of coffee falling towards the floor. There was even smokes from the hot coffee.

"What the hell!" he exclaimed.

Her eyes widened. "I'm so sorry! Oh my god." Natutop niya ang bibig nang makitang hindi na nag-switched on ang laptop. "Giatay! Sorry kaayo!" mangiyak-ngiyak niyang sagot.

He heaved a heavy sigh. "Wala na. Hindi pa na-save 'yong document ko," himutok nito.

Bigla siyang nakonsensya. Hiyang-hiya siya lalo na at pinagtitinginan sila ng mga pasahero.

"Babayaran ko, sir. I'm so sorry. Natulak kasi ako ng mga bata," she explained.

"Ano pong problema, ma'am and sir?" Lumapit ang stewardess sa kanila.

They talked everything out. Plano niya sanang bigyan na lang ang lalaki ng pera para ipaayos ang laptop nito ngunit hindi nito tinanggap dahil ito pa raw ang mas maha-hassle kung sakali. She almost grunted at him. Later, they agreed to meet after niyang maipaayos ang gadget nito. He also made her surrender her valid IDs pati na ang university ID niya. He took pictures of her. In case, she run away with his laptop ay pasisikatin raw siya nito.