Nights on the Railway

"Sherlock?" your voice gently echoed in the basement and he turned to you, eyes alight.

"We have to get to Soo Lin Yao."

And then he was moving, leaving the basement and you and John to deal with Andy.

You and John shared a look, and then John sighed while you took off after Sherlock.

"Erm, sorry, Andy, we've got to dash, but thank you for all your help,"

A few seconds later, John came jogging up behind you, and you'd almost caught up to Sherlock. The detective may well have lengthened his lead, had not a voice yelled out his name.

The three of you turned to face the man running up to you -- Raz. John's face crinkled angrily.

"Oh," he said sourly. "Look who it is."

Raz ignored him and addressed Sherlock.

"Found something you'll like." Raz trotted off and Sherlock quickly followed. John grumbled something under his breath, but you couldn't quite catch it, and then the two of you followed.

Rax took you further than you'd anticipated going, to the Hungerford Bridge, along the south side of the river. John grumbled to himself mostly, until he finally spoke up and told Raz that all he had to do was show up Tuesday morning and say the bag was his, to which Sherlock replied that John needed to forget about his court date.

You couldn't articulate exactly why the hairs on the back of your neck, but you couldn't seem to shake the feeling you were being watched. You'd felt like it ever since you saw that woman across the street at 221B. But, you reasoned with yourself, it was dark now, and no one was out and about looking for four adults who were at present heading to... a skate park.

It was covered in graffiti. Everywhere, layers and layers of paint all spread across the cement. There were a few kids, maybe in their late teens, fooling around on bikes, but overwhelmingly, all you could see was just the sheer amount of spray paint that sprawled out.

"There's... so much," you murmured, mostly to yourself. Sherlock nodded.

"If you want to hide a tree, then a forest is the best place to do it, wouldn't you say? People would just walk straight past, not knowing, unable to decipher the message."

Raz stopped at one particular area of one of the concrete walls. It was heavily graffitied, and he raised his hand to point to one particular splash of that same distinct yellow paint that you'd seen in the bank and the museum.

"There. I spotted it earlier."

The paint in question was already partially covered by other artists' works, but it certainly matched.

"They have been in here," Sherlock said to himself and then turned to Raz. "And that's the exact same paint?"

"Yeah," Raz nodded. Sherlock rocked back on his heels, considering.

"if we're going to decipher this code, we're gonna need to look for more evidence." Sherlock motioned for the two of you to split.

"Y/N, come with me. John, you go south."

You cocked your head, paused, curious at his decision. Sherlock looked over at you.

"Come on, Y/N. The game is on." He was impatient. Still, you hesitated; you'd been at the receiving end of more than one of Sherlock's irritated monologues.

"Are you sure you don't want me going with John?"

Sherlock huffed and turned to fully face you, his cheekbones shadowed under the streetlights, jawline sharp.