Kabanata 33

Fish

"And now for our youngest recepient. Before we call her name on this stage, let us know her well! Allyana Theadore Silvestre is a Psychologist, graduated from New York University with flying colors! She has volunteered to many humanitarian act through medical mission in helping young, women and children overcome mental health problem. Aside from that, she also donated from various different indigenous group in providing food and shelters for homeless people."

My heart race rapidly inside my chest. I am use to events like this but I feel so nervous tonight. The first time they call me to invite from this event ay nag dalawang isip agad ako. Though in the end both my Mom and lolo push me to say yes. Gusto din kasi ni Mommy umuwi dito para mag bakasyon at miss narin ako ni lolo kaya naging dual purpose narin ang pag-uwi ko.

"Now may we call her now in this stage. Miss Silvestre, please come up. Everyone let's give her a round of applause!" Naka ngiting sabi ng emcee.

My heart pounded so hard. Kahit kinakabahan ako paakyat ng stage ay nagawa ko paring ngumiti at mag lakad ng maayos.

The President and Vice President of the Gawad Parangal organization including the emcee welcome me on the stage as they give me my trophy. I thank them politely and shake their hands. The emcee guided me in the center making me face the crowd. Almost everyone clap and cheer on me. Tango at ngiti lang ang iginanti ko sa kanila.

"Miss Silvestre do you have a message you want to ponder with everyone watching you right now?" Anang lalaking emcee sabay ngiti sa'kin.

I smile back before I hesitantly accept the microphone. I am use to speaking in the crowd because of my job but this time, I feel too uncomfortable. Hindi ko lang kasi maipaliwanag itong pagtatambol sa puso ko. Siguro dahil naninibago lang ako o dahil ito ang first time kung dumalo ng event sa Pilipinas. And it has been a long time since I was here. I use to see foreign people everyday.

"I'd like to thank the Gawad Parangal ng mga Kabataan for this award. When I started volunteering in medical mission, my number one goal is to help people overcome trauma and depression. Because just like me, I also went through it. At alam kong hindi madali."

Everyone became silent as I started to speak. Some even gasp. The emcee smile at me again.

"If it's okay with you Miss Silvestre, can you share a bit of your life story to us?"

Ngumiti ako at tumingin sa stage. Slowly, my confidence boost. Sa una lang pala nakakakaba.

"I know some of here know my background story. My dad died early and I got separated from my Mom. My lolo, Attorney Amando Silvestre was known as a very tough man in his career. He have help a lot of people and he had a lot of enemies too because of his principles in life. My life was at risk before. Eight years ago, there were men who planted to kill me. Sa labas ng school ko may nag tangkang bumaril sa'kin but luckily daplis lang ng bala ang natamo ko. Isang beses naman ay may nag tangkang gumahasa sa'kin. Mabuti nalang at nasagip din ako ng pamilyang kumupkop samin ng nanny ko noong umalis kami para mag tago dahil sa mga death threats sa buhay ko. The third time I experience trauma is when we left before I went to New York. Umalis kami habang pinapaulanan ng bala at binabangga ang aming kotse. Thankfully, my lolo's men were all skilled and they were able to rescue me safely together with my nanny." My heart start beating wildly again. "Pati sa buhay pag-ibig ko'y nakaranas din ako ng mapait."

A lot of people were whispering to their seat-mates and a lot becomes more interested to listen to my story even the emcee.

"I fell in love for a first time to a man who is ten years older than me. I was nineteen that time. I admit I was too young, childish and carefree. I trust and love the wrong person that lead to my broken heart. Nag sabay-sabay lahat ang problema ko hanggang sa ma depressed ako. It was the darkest part of my life. I only slowly recovered when I read a book about positivity and with my family's guidance."