Chapter 1 - Hi, I'm May

My lungs burn with exertion, and my side feels like it's about to split open. My feet pound against the ground, sending painful shocks through the unusual cramp that's developed in my shoulder. The flashlights of my pursuers swing rhythmically as they run, strobing my own desperately sprinting shadow on the concrete before me.

I'm certain I can outrun the cops. I've never tried before, but I am an expert on running away from things. Back in the old days, before he went to college, my older brother DEVIN tricked me into believing in Slender Man, and I was so scared that I decided to train to run away from him. Since he can teleport, you've gotta run real fast.

But anyway, back to the matter at hand. How did I get here? Let's start at the very beginning.

The day started out like any other: I awoke with a start from my nightmare about Slender Man baking me into a Slender Pie, and realized I'd drooled all over the essay I'd been supposed to be writing. Yesterday had been the last day of my third extension to finish the assignment, and I'd blown it again. Mr. Grubengotter wasn't going to be happy.

Instead of writing the essay, I'd been drafting something far more important. I held up the drool-soaked paper, admiring my work. It was almost ready. I decided to hang the page up to dry, so I could reference it later. Fanfiction.net wasn't going to be ready for what I gave them. Maybe one day I'd even graduate to Tumblr or Ao3. I had high hopes.

Unfortunately, I had to go to school. Nothing could better crush the spirits of a young, hopeful fanfiction writer than the American public education system. I'd considered dropping out a few times, but I didn't want DEVIN to be able to hold it over my head. He'd tell me all the time that Slender Man thinks kids who don't graduate high school are EXTRA delicious. He wants to make them into frosting for his cakes. And I know what you're thinking - Slender Man isn't real! There's no proof he exists! True, but is there any proof that he DOESN'T?

Anyway, I had to get ready for the day. I picked up a can of Febreeze and sprayed it under my arms, hoping it would mask the stench. I'd been locked in my room, slaving over my art, all weekend. Dozens of drooled-on pages were hung on clothesline around the room, and crumpled papers littered the floor. But it hadn't been for nothing! It was finally almost ready to grace the hallowed halls of Fanfiction.net, where I was certain that someone would finally understand. I'd lost many friends over the years, and been ridiculed so badly that I had to move schools and towns, because of my passion. But the internet would understand. They shadowy spectres haunting the dusty halls of forbidden love would understand my infatuation - nay, my devotion to Kronk.

I exited my room and put on my very smelly shoes. They were hand-me-downs of Devin's; nearly everything I owned was. I had inherited his room, his clothes, and his stench. Combined with my own stench, the stench of an impassioned writer, the scent was nearly unbearable.

I think maybe the stench was why dad never came back from the convenience store three years ago.

I hadn't seen mom in a while, I was pretty sure she had a late shift at McDonald's last night. She'd probably turn up. I wasn't worried about it. I grabbed one of my homemade spinach puffs from inside their special container and left for school.