I'll Be Waiting by Amber Zelhart

Chapter 1

Brienne & I were the closest of friends ever since I could remember, we grew up in a small town called Ode, it wasn't much but it was big enough for the both of us. Our parents used to go out to dinner every Friday night, Brienne & I would just stay at our favorite place -- under the huge oak tree beside the river, we would call it "Roak". We could stay there for hours and hours, no one would bother us, because no one knew where it was. Day by day I would slowly fall in love with her, she never knew. We were both 16 when we visited Roak on the 15th day of March, we laid on the grass talking about everything we've been through together, the ups and the downs. It was about 5 in the afternoon when we decided to go home, but before he left Roak, she told she had something so important to say. Tears started falling from her eyes, I immediately wiped them & hugged her, asking what was wrong. "Kaleb, we're moving to Austria", she said very slowly. At that moment I couldn't imagine how my life would be without her by my side, she said she would be there for 3 years with no communication whatsoever, and the worst part is, she was leaving on the next day. We both stayed at Roak, we had to make the most of our last hours together. She then got up and held a knife in her hand, walked toward the Oak tree and carved "Brienne + Kaleb" on the trunk. She said that no matter what would happen, Roak would still be ours. We planned that after 3 years, on the 15th of March, we would meet up at Roak and finally be together again. Brienne was my best friend, I couldn't bare to watch her leave, but we both had no choice. On the next day, I took her to the airport, she gave me a hug and I kissed her forehead, I then held her hand for the last time and whispered in her ear, "I'll be waiting for you, nothing is going to change". She forced a smile and wiped her tears, walked away and after a few moments, she was gone.

Everyday I would go back to Roak with just memories to hold on to, it got harder and harder, but I never gave up. I waited for her every day, I could never love another. It was December 24th, I walked home and saw some folks dancing in the park, I then remembered how Brienne would always take my hand to dance with her whenever we'd hear music playing. It was quite ironic though, because she used to hate dancing, until she turned 12 and I dared her to try ballet, I never thought that that dare would actually change her life, she never stopped dancing, and she was so beautiful at it too. I, on the other hand, loved dancing but couldn't dance. Brienne would still make me feel like I was as rhythmic as she was, she never judged me, she would always stay by my side. When I got home, my parents & I sat at the table and ate dinner, we had spaghetti. I remembered how Brienne and I as kids, would throw the meatballs at each other while my mom would tell us not to waste food. Those were definately the good times. Dad looked at me while I was eating, he then said, "You miss her, don't you?". I gave him the most blank face and responded, "More than I could ever miss anything in this world". I then went up to my room & starred at Brienne's picture. It was our first Christmas apart, possibly the worst Christmas ever. I remembered when Brienne and her family would come over every Christmas eve. As kids, we would secretly wait for Santa to come and bring us gifts, then when we turned 11, we caught my dad in a worn out costume holding all our presents. Sure, it was a bummer that our Santa routine was foiled knowing there was no such thing as Santa, but a new routine started. When we were 12, we celebrated our Christmas watching marathons of foreign dramas. It was very, very silly. But it was her idea, and her ideas were the best.

Chapter 2

Finally, one year passed. I got used to not having Brienne by my side, I missed her so much though. I would always try to imagine her face, if it changed or if it stayed the same in a year. It never mattered though, Brienne was always the most beautiful girl that I had ever met. She had long curly brown hair, blue eyes and the most amazing smile, snow white skin and the tiniest hands. She was tall and slim, but she could eat like a cow yet would never gain an ounce of fat. She was beautiful, she never cared about what she looked like, she was so simple, so humble, and so fun to be around. She made everyone feel so equal and she would always help those in need. Some of her friends actually thought she would be a nun, I always objected to that thought though. I, on the other hand, was so different from what society expected me to be. I had brown hair, brown eyes, fair skin, a nice smile, I was taller than alot of people in Ode, I used to hate school, but Brienne helped me enjoy it. Everyone expected me to be tough and mean. Well, as the quarterback of our football team, everyone had lots of expectations. But even though I didnt live up to most of their expectations, I was happy to live up to my own, and still keeping Brienne happy. Brienne never expected anything from me though, she always liked me the way I was, so she used to say. Everyday I would walk down the hall of our school with some of my guy friends. Girls would usually surround me, cheerleaders, most of the time. Temptation always came around, but never did I give in. I always wondered how Brienne was doing in her new school, I knew she learned to speak Austrian eversince we were kids, since her grandparents would always encourage her to learn more about their culture. I was confident that Brienne would fit in, I never doubted her. Though I was scared she would fall in love with someone else, I never let myself do the same.