The Funeral - A Ducktales FanArt Commission Story

A/N: This is a random idea I've been tinkering with since around the premiere of the Ducktales Season 2 finale. I also want this to be a call to action for any artists who could indulge me. Yes, I am even willing to float a few to help some of the better entries. (Just in case more than one of you sees this and decides to run with it. I am more than happy to support local artists during these crazy times.) Anywho, enjoy what I've cooked up as a personal epilogue to the 2017 reboot of Ducktales. At least in terms of what makes sense in my writer's brain of what would happen to certain characters/story arcs/etc. I try to be thorough in my writing, mostly because when I was a kid, I was inspired by one of my favorite authors Brian Jacques to "paint a picture with words."

They say that the man who has everything can't take it with him when he dies. While in theory this may seem true, there is always an exception to the rule.

Twenty three years ago, Scrooge McDuck was viewed publicly as just another miserable trillionaire. The Richest Duck in the World, who had seemingly lost all drive in his life, was just a broken has-been. Losing beloved family members will do that to any man; never mind if it was a situation that he had more control over than he would have admitted to. Harsh words had been said; reality had kicked him in his tail feathers. When all was said and done, life went on for the Adventure Capitalist. Until a certain moment came up...

"Oi! Jettison that jelopy from my driveway this instant, you deadbeat!"

Huey chuckled inwardly to himself as guests began to fill in the spare den of McDuck Manor. Those were the first words he ever heard his beloved Uncle Scrooge utter to his uncle Donald, blissfully unaware of the baggage surrounding their relationship. The moment when his boring, quiet life as he knew it was over. The moment his family was on the road to healing and starting a brand new journey he would never have predicted.

His eyes began to drift off as a hand on his shoulder snapped him back to reality. He recognized her touch anywhere, as most children do with their parents. He looked into his mother's eyes with a sense of nostalgia, sensing she was probably reliving her own past memory. She smiled sadly. Offering only a gentle, loving hug as an oldest child as considerate as him would, she returned his kindness and proceeded to the front of the gathering.

In the couple years leading up to this day, Della had stepped up as the new Matriarch of the McDuck family. She also served as the new face of the company, giving press updates, helping provide practical solutions to problems arising in Duckburg, and serving as part-time Ambassador to the Moon.

That had to have been what excited her the most. (Never mind the kind of "shenanigans" she and her friend Penumbra got into together.) Yet almost in spite of Uncle Scrooge all but demanding Della take over McDuck Enterprises when he passed away, she turned him down at every opportunity. And her logic actually made more sense than Uncle Scrooge initially gave her credit for.

When he was still running full steam ahead making his fortune, Scrooge didn't need to think about where the world was heading, how technology would advance so quickly, magic quickly becoming less of a thing, etc. As one person, he could handle running the company and still do what he did best. Times changed. Della saw that and would pass on the right to run the company, instead gifting to her children when they were ready for the responsibility. Of course, there was a time she thought about going for it. Before Uncle Donald passed...

The family was still shaken by the incident sometimes. In their final conflict with F.O.W.L, Donald gave his life in the ultimate sacrifice. As a true hero would have. He had just been married to Daisy the previous month and the whole thing left her heartbroken. Well, it would have if she wasn't still invited to be with the family during the difficult time. Despite having known him the least amount of time, she took it nearly as hard as Louie had. The two grew closer over their grief, which surprised some but made sense given their appreciation for Donald.