Chapter 10

Chapter 10

He came around the corner behind Callie, appearing in my life the way he always did—dark and beautiful, full of pride and anger. A black t-shirt hung loose on his rangy shoulders. Faded jeans covered his long legs. Silver wolf-eyes flicked from me to Izzy.

“Iz.”

Izzy stepped forward, hand out. They did that weird half-hug, half-handshake guys did, slapping each other’s back roughly.

They knew each other, I realized dizzily. Of course. I was the only one here who didn’t know what was going on. Regardless of what Izzy had said, they had all the power.

Straighten up, a voice snapped in my head, sounding remarkably like Grandma. Act like the runt of the litter, and that’s all you’ll ever be.

I wanted to argue something in return, but since Imaginary Grandma couldn’t really answer back, I didn’t. Instead, I fused ice into my spine and looked Jack directly in the eye.

“Back from your swim?” I asked.

“It was cold. I’d had enough.”

“I’m sorry it didn’t take,” I said. “Maybe we can try again later.”

Unexpectedly, he grinned in return. “Promises, promises. You probably didn’t realize that I’ve gotten very good at moving from solid to gas.” He held out his hand and his finger shimmered, and then faded to a little flesh-colored cloud. It stayed that way for only a second before solidifying again. “Luckily, some very strong winds off the Sound helped bring me back to shore.”

“You trying to attract attention?” Izzy demanded, punching him in the shoulder.

“It’s a finger, Iz,” Jack said, opening and closing his now entirely-solid hand in a fist. “Chill out.”

“You better hope they don’t have any Scouts overhead. You’re like a damn beacon when you do that sort of thing.”

“Because I’m so talented?” Jack waggled his eyebrows. “Thanks. I had no idea you cared.”

“Please,” Izzy said, rolling his eyes. He peered the side of the cabin before continuing. “Anyone else coming behind you? A little preparation would be nice, you know.”

“I came separately. Gregori is a couple of hours behind. We didn’t want to travel together.”

“Smart. And the mission?”

“I think we might have found her,” Jack said. He dropped the smile, looking intently into Izzy’s eyes. “Can’t say for sure, but Costa thinks he smelled her trail. They’re below ground, so it’s faint, and the trail was old. But it was there.”

Izzy blew out a breath. “I will kill them if they hurt her.”

I did a double-take at the tone of his voice. I’d never heard Izzy sound so…lethal.

“Join the club.”

Now that note of quiet promise I did recognize. Jack crossed his arms over his chest and glowed with a pale fury. It was hard not to be intimidated. But I reminded myself that this was the same Jack who had followed me home after school and eaten soup with my grandma. The same Jack I had helped escape from a car full of Watchers, almost a year ago. Of course, there was a lot of water under the bridge since then. But it helped to remember that I knew the boy he had been, and not just the dark stranger he had become.  

“Who are you looking for?” I asked, knowing it was unlikely I would recognize the name.

“Reva,” Jack said, giving me a direct, unflinching look.