InTOXICating

"God how annoying could one person be?" She shouted to herself. She looked at her phone to see she received notification after notification. Text after text. She glared into the mirror, ignoring the almost constant buzzing. She knew she was attractive. She brushed the straight brown hair away from her face while staring intently at herself. Bothered by the blue and orange stains, she sighed, turning away from the mirror yet still keeping her attention on her reflection. The varsity jacket she wore only boosted her attractiveness in her eyes.
And apparently the eyes of others, she was reminded. The girls and boys blowing up her phone had not relented, no matter what she did. Seeing the texts reminded her of her day at school.

She was approached by a girl holding a flower.
"Hey liz... well... I just... I thought you looked really err... pretty today?" The girl stood awkwardly, awaiting a response from the 5'10' basketball player.

"Thanks sweetheart, don't be afraid to catch feelings." She said, winking at the girl. That was liz's first mistake. She walked away, not thinking anything of it but when she turned around and saw the girl she scolded herself.

The girl was covered in a scarlet blush, loudly telling her friends "did you see that? Did you see that? Varsity girl talked to me... like..."
The conversation trailed off as Liz walked out of earshot. That was strike one.

Strike two came later, walking down the hallway. Liz spotted the girl from a mile away. "Oh god no not this one again." She muttered to herself. She fixed her posture and continued walking, ignoring the nagging yelling of "Liz, Liz liz liiiiiz wait uuuuuup."

She heard click clacking steps growing closer and closer to her until she felt a tap on her shoulder. She turned around and let out a long sigh. "Yes? What's up?" She said.

The girl looked out of breath "I damn near had to run to catch up with you. Anyways, I've been thinking and... well... I have feelings for you liz..."

Liz heard none of it, her thoughts trailing to other places. Four more hours until school was out and she could be with.... them.

"What? Sorry I wasn't listening" the brunette said, pushing her clenched fists into her pockets.

"God, you know what I can't handle you anymore, never mind."

Liz, half intrigued shouted back "if you don't like the way that I talk then why am I on your mind?" Before walking away. Strike two.

Relationships weren't her thing, they couldn't be. At least not with the secret she kept within herself.

Liz snaps out of her reminiscing daydream, once again looking at her phone.

Girls were just not it to her. And neither were boys for that matter. No matter what she did she found she was not attracted to either. There was one thing and one thing alone for which she harbored romantic affections for.
Deciding her room felt a bit stuffy at the thought of her forbidden lover, she started on a jog. First around her neighborhood, but as her mind drifted back to thoughts of them, she found herself in the parking lot of a grocery store. In an exhausted haze, she walked into the store and straight to the aisle that she knew so well. Past the produce, just right of the junk food, the laundry aisle. Strike three.

She locked eyes with it. An orange plastic container. In the most enticing font was written "Tide pods. Warning. Toxic. Not safe for human consumption"

Liz always read the warning, but ignored it time and time again. She sauntered up to the container. In a hushed tone she said "oh well hello there, it's been a hot minute... hasn't it?" The container coldly glared back, giving no response.

Liz took offense to this, quickly saying "hey hey you don't have to be angry at me. I've been busy okay? I haven't been able to make time for you, I'm sorry. Tonight though..." she paused thoughtfully. "Tonight will be just about the two of us."

She could almost hear the container saying "take me back to your house Liz it's been too long, we have some catching up to do." And liz complied to this silent order. She grabbed the container off the shelf and rushed to the register. As she arrived at self checkout she scanned the item. Somehow this cool calm and collected girl found herself rattled by the prize that sat just in front of her. Trying to pay for the item, her credit card slipped out of her hand. Liz cursed her clumsiness under her breath, she was varsity girl, she couldn't let these tide pods shake her.

After paying for the tide pods she sprinted home. She barely made it half way through the door before her thoughts clouded with desire. She needed these tide pods, and she needed them now. In her room she found the buzzing on her phone had died down, but that was the least of her concerns.

She set the container in front of her and groaned. She knew she'd have trouble opening the lid. She looked at the box, hearing it call out to her "throw caution to the wind Liz, open me with your teeth if you have to, I know you want me." She took its advice and ripped it open with her canines. She let out a primal growl as the container popped open. Her eyes clouded with passion, she only saw three distinct colors. Orange. Blue. And white.

She pressed her forehead against the container, "god what am I doing... these are toxic... what would the team, the school say if they found out about this. Look at me, I'm a slave to these gorgeous little pods." Liz said having a moment of self awareness. She shook her head. The only toxic thing about these tide pods was how intoxicating they were. Plus she had gained an immunity due to how many she'd already eaten. "No. They won't find out. It's just you and I." She mumbled to the pods

"Thought you'd say so, now where were you before you had that brief moment of self reflection?" The pods said in a sultry tone. She plucked one from the small pile inside of the container. "Looking just as ravishing as usual aren't you?" She asked the pod. She ran her tongue across the plastic seam, she needed this. Gingerly placing the pod in her mouth she bit down and was met with the results she wished for. The pod exploded with immense flavor. Sure they tasted like a chemical burn, but god did she love it.

Her mouth filled with detergent, Liz brushed the tip of her nose against the lid of the container. She exhaled deeply as she did so asking "how could I have forgotten about you for so long?" She noticed she had left the door slightly ajar, but made no movement to close it. The thrill of being caught only added to her excitement.

The she swallowed the detergent and plastic with a groan, "you're all I'll ever need." The pods stared deeply into her eyes. "Then make us yours Liz" they said. Liz ate pod after pod, the detergent running down her face and onto her shirt. Collecting at the corners of her lips, she licked it off eagerly. She blatantly ignored the buzz of her phone. Continuing this cycle until the container was empty, Liz sighed in contentment. This. This was what she needed.