Prologue

Tic Tok

Tic Tok

Tic Tok.

Tap! Tap! Tap!

There is no use. Selene sighs, glancing at the clock again. Tapping her pen on the desk impatiently, she hears the sound of it echo in the empty room. If anyone doesn't show up today then it would be the end.

The Enigma Club will be gone forever. The base of the club was Selene's haven but...

Selene sighs again. There have been no members in this club for the past three years straight if you don't count her. Today is the last day for students to join any club they wanted, if anyone doesn't show up today, this place will be closed once and for all. Selene takes a longing look around the place, tears welling up in her eyes. This place is the only comfort ever provided to her and it being taken away...

She doesn't know how she will cope with the rest of her lonely high school life.

But there is no point in hoping anymore, no one showed for the past three days, it would be a miracle if people come all of a sudden in the last one hour.

"Guess this would be goodbye then," Selene whispers, her voice echoing in the quiet room.

She was the unluckiest person in the world. Life had a certain grudge against her. Things like miracles happening to her are impossible-

Bang!

Selene jumps, falling off her seat as the old door to the room opens all of a sudden. Landing on the ground, she grumbles in pain, "Just my luck". Getting on her feet, she looks up to see a guy standing at the entrance. He looked like he could care less even if she would have fallen to death.

He looks at her, an impassive expression in his forest green eyes, "You done yet?" He asks in a deep, unconcerned voice. Selene's jaw clenches in annoyance, "I'm fine. Thanks for asking." She snaps without thinking. As soon as she spoke, her eyes immediately widen in shock at her own words. She was never the type to confront anyone, maybe the sadness of leaving this place is affecting her.

"Your welcome," the guy yawns, running a hand through his blond hair.

"You! -Never mind what do you want?" Selene snaps, rather rudely.

If he was offended he didn't show it, as his eyes skimmed the place lazily, before looking back at her. "What is this club?"

All the anger washes away from Selene as hope starts to bloom inside her. "It's the Enigma Club. Would you like to join in?" she asks. Under other circumstances, she would have hated that her voice sounded so hopeful, but right now she could care less. It was a life and death situation for her.

"Weird name." is all that the guy said in answer.

Selene waits quietly for a moment, then another and another and another. The guy doesn't give any other response.

She sighs, "So would you like to join?" she says, slowly this time so he gets it in the head.

"No. I don't have any intention of wasting precious energy in it." the guys say blankly.

Selene's hand twitches to grab the pen holder at her desk and chuck it at the guy's head. But she tries to force on a smile instead.

"Are you trying to smile? You look kind of sick..."

Oh, he would pay for that one. The fact that he looked so unbothered and impassive, irritated Selene more than anything. She can't figure out if he was just being rude or is the type to just speak out whatever is in their head, regardless of other person's feeling.