class & reinvention

Rye comes bounding through the door with a huff as he pulls his headphones out his ears. Despite it being an early September morning, he still managed to sweat like a waterfall on his run, a habit that he picked because he thought it would help to clear his mind. He strips his shirt off and starts to walk towards the laundry room until he hears a wolf whistle.

He turns around to see Sarah sitting at one of the chairs in the little breakfast nook with a coffee in hand and a smirk painted on her lips. "Well, well Beaumont," she says, "if I knew I would get a show I would have woken up this early ever since we moved."

"Ha, ha, very funny," Rye smiles before walking towards her, "you excited for class?" He asks his friend eyeing her up and down. Sarah had on navy blue scrubs and her fiery curls are pulled back into a bun at the top of her head.

She hums, "I'm more excited to graduate. Nursing school has been a bitch and I'm just ready to help people on my own you know?"

"Yeah, I get it," Rye agrees before sitting down, "I can't believe how fast you are growing up, seems like it was just yesterday I was peeling you off my floor at the hotel the day after I met you just to shove water down your throat."

Sarah blushes, "oh my goodness, I remember! I drank so much because I was nervous to meet you. I thought Brook was joking when he said he was best friends with the heir to the Beaumont Hotels." Her face falls at the mention of Brook.

"How are you two?" Rye asks sipping a bit of her coffee.

"You remember last time we all hung out?" Rye nods. "That was the last time I spoke to him," she shrugs, "I thought we were cool because he started seeing Harper before I even thought about being with Sonny, yet he seemed more pissed that I moved on and actually started dating him."

"Well, you were the only thing in his life that was stable at that time, maybe he just thought that-"

"Woah, you are not defending him right now," she scoffs, "I get that he is your best friend and bros before hoes and all that shit, but like, c'mon Rye. Our relationship wasn't going anywhere, especially after he met Harper. That boy is smitten now, happier than he ever was with me and he is not afraid to show me."

"Well, if it's any consolation, I really was rooting for you guys," Rye says truthfully, "and I am kind of glad you two got together in the first place because that's how we met."

"Just admit you are in love with me, its kind of annoying how obsessed you are," she winks before taking a sip of her coffee.

Rye rolls his eyes, "here we were, having a moment, and of course you had to ruin it. Why did I choose to let you move in with me?"

"Because you are in love with me," she smirks, "and Sonny and I can't afford a place on our own. I only have two real friends and they are dating each other so our options were limited. Plus, it helps that Andy could never say no to Sonny."

Sarah watches as Rye laughs. This is the first actual conversation her and Rye had since his grandmother died and she misses her friend. She misses the banter between them. She has been giving him space to help cope with it, but it seems like the space has been getting bigger recently instead of shrinking like she hoped. But this, this is a step in the right direction.

"Are you guys talking about me?" Andy asks as he rushes into the kitchen and starts running around. Rye couldn't help but notice how good he looked in his grey scrubs, the fabric clinging to his curves in the most delicious way. He stands up to walk towards him.

"What's the hurry babe?" Rye asks causing Andy to jump and almost drop his granola bar that he was shoving into his pocket. Andy whips his head towards Rye. He opens his mouth to say something, but he is frozen for a second as he stares at his boyfriend's naked chest. Rye puts a hand on his hip as his favorite line falls from his lips, "take a picture, it will last longer."