Salted Caramel

The effects of eating salted caramel is like none other – an experience that is hard to explain.

But when your mother brings you home a small box of these little 'treats' and offers you one, you automatically take one the harmless looking balls of chocolate.

Of course, when the person offering you this sweet starts to sort of smirk, you get a little suspicious.

What did they do to it? It doesn't look tampered with, or anything of the sort. It doesn't even look old, or melted at all. But nonetheless, you ask what it is you're about to eat.

After being told it's salted caramel, your reaction is that of scepticism. You raise your eyebrow, or laugh or whatever reaction you have, and eat the salted caramel.

You bite down on it, as is standard, but instead of just a typical sweet taste, there's an explosion. This explosion leaves you confused, and I will tell you why.

It's the clash of titans, in your mouth.

You neither like it, nor hate it, but the clash of flavours is really remarkable.

You can't quite make your mind up. That's the confusing part. You have no idea if you like it, or hate it. But it's not just indifference. So what is the sensation?

You sort of let the flavour settle in on your tongue, then very slowly swallow, and the salt almost burns down your throat, but not necessarily in a bad way, as the caramel soon follows and counteracts the bitterness.

Afterwards you can't be sure if you're game enough to eat another one. You also cannot wait to drink a glass of water.

After a few days it wears off - that fear of eating the stuff again - and you forget what it tastes like. So to remind yourself, because you hardly remember, you build up the courage, and stick another one in your mouth.

You then wish you hadn't.

But that's just salted caramel.

I dare you.