Chapter Nine: Coffee

Emma wasn't pleased when Henry showed up at her house unannounced.

"Henry, what are you doing here, you're supposed to be spending the week with Regina."

"She's back into her depression and asked me to come here. I couldn't get her out of bed."

Emma frowned hearing that. She knew why Regina was feeling that way, and surely it was all her fault again, but she needed some time to figure this all out before rushing over there.

She sighed and opened the door for Henry to come in.

"So what happened between you and mom?" Henry asked, even though he knew the answer. He just wanted to hear Emma's side of the story.

Emma paled at the question. "I tried to help her with the pixie dust thing, and it just didn't work." She shrugged going into the kitchen.

"Mother, I know when you're hiding something from me."

She sighed, "Kid, things are very complicated and you need to keep out of our business." She smiled placing a kiss on top of his head.

"Speaking of... Shouldn't you be in school?"

"I told you mom, wasn't getting out of bed to take me."

"Henry, you're old enough to be able to get yourself to school by yourself."

"Ok, well, I was worried about mom."

Emma sighed, and ran a hand through her hair. "Alright, I am going to get you to school and go over there."

Henry smiled and hugged Emma, "Ok."

Emma drove Henry to school and explained to the principal why he wasn't there earlier, and drove back to Regina's house. She parked her car on the side of the road and tapped her fingers against the steering wheel. She was extremely nervous going back in there. She never felt this way before.

She got up and went to the door and knocked. Waited over 10 minutes with no answer, and she frowned. "Regina?!" She yelled, no answer.

She looked in the driveway and saw that her car was still there. She tried to open the door, thankfully Henry "forgot" to lock it when he left. 'Good boy' she smiled and went upstairs to Regina's bedroom. She quietly opened the door.

"Regina?"

Regina jumped at the site of Emma, she was the last person to expect to be there and sat up in bed. Her hair was all a mess, and there were dark circles under her eyes. She looked like she'd been crying.

Emma sucked in a deep breath and frowned, "Why didn't you get Henry off to school this morning, Regina?"

"I'm in no position to be a parent right now, Emma. Please, leave me alone..."

"Absolutely not. Can I make you some coffee?" She wondered watching her with sad eyes.

"Okay." Regina nodded and curiously watched her go out of the room. She wasn't sure why Emma was still there.

Emma returned a few moments later with some black coffee just how Regina liked it and handed it to her. Regina set the coffee on the night stand.

"You want to talk?"

"Not particularly, no."

Emma smiled and went to go sit on her bed. "Ok well, we can just sit in silence if you'd like?"

Regina hesitated for a moment, no one ever respected what she wanted, not ever. This was the first time she ever felt respected. So she decided to let Emma stay.

"Okay." Regina smiled and took a sip of her coffee. This was the first time she had felt this loved from other than Henry in a long time.