Well, that's one way to start the new year!

The new term started about as well as one could expect when one's former friend stood accused of raping another former friend. I'd decided not to let it bug me too much, however, but my heart still turned over in my chest when Marcia's mum pulled in at the drop-off zone. The area was awash with cars, and it was bedlam. I was a bit breathless from the chaos, but deep down, I was glad to be back at school. I'd missed everyone dreadfully; video calls and chats just didn't compare to face-to-face contact. 

Then came the heart-turning-over moment as Marcia and I got out of her mum's car to unload our suitcases. As we shut the boot and waved goodybe, I caught a glimpse of a familiar white car and groaned. Loudly. Marcia looked around and winced when she saw my pale face. 

"Why?" she asked. 

"Your guess is as good as mine," I said, picking up my suitcase with another groan. I hadn't, of course, said anything to Marcia about the intricacies of the case against Ellis, but given our discussion the night the police had called, it hadn't taken her long to put two and two together. She hadn't pressed me for details, thankfully, and I was relieved I hadn't broken Sally's trust. 

Marcia sighed as she picked up her own suitcase. "Well, it better be a damn good reason," she said grimly. 

That was the moment fate took a hand; as we started towards our dorm building, running footsteps caused us to turn, and I growled. "What do you want?" I snapped. 

Ellis pulled up, startled. "Um, can we talk? Alone," he added, looking pointedly at Marcia. She raised an eyebrow and stayed put.

"You can say whatever you want to say in front of me," she said coolly. "But if it's to do with your ... predicament - whatever it is - then neither Sarah nor I are interested in hearing about it."

"And we're not about to get ourselves in trouble discussing whatever stupid mess you've gotten yourself into," I added. 

Ellis sighed. "Look, it's not what you think it is," he said. 

I rolled my eyes. "Let's go," I said to Marcia. She nodded, but as I set off after her, Ellis grabbed my arm. "Hey!" I protested, turning to glare at him. "Let me go!"

"Not until you've listened to what I've had to say," Ellis said firmly. "You're treating the wrong person with contempt. And don't pretend you don't know what's going on; I know Dad and Sally went over to your place after I was charged."

I yanked my arm free. "Just leave me alone," I said angrily. "I told you; I don't want to know. You're currently being charged with some rotten stuff; don't make it worse for yourself by discussing it when you know you're on thin ice already."

Ellis glared. "So you're just going to dismiss me out of hand?" Without even giving me a chance to fucking explain myself?"

"That's enough!" Miss Ainsworth's voice cracked, and I closed my eyes in relief. Thank God. 

Ellis was 6'3", but he quailed before Miss Ainsworth's 5'2" compressed fury as she stalked over to us. Her glare sent Marcia and I scurrying away as fast as we could, and as we practically ran to our dorm, we heard her start an awesome smack-down. "I never want to be on the receiving end of one of her dressings-down," Marcia whispered as we reached the dorm building, cutting off the rest of Miss Ainsworth's tirade. "But why is she so angry? I mean, I know she's probably upset over this whole trainwreck, but she seemed like... almost like a mother bear or something."

I kept my mouth shut on that score. Miss Ainsworth's secret was not mine to discuss. "Your guess is as good as mine," I deflected. Marcia gave me a knowing look but wisely changed the subject. 
"You're signing up for pony club?" I added, as we reached the first floor.

Marcia shook her head. "Archery," she said. "But have fun. I'm just glad the weather is improving."

"Me too," I agreed. A horrible thought had just occurred to me, and I struggled to keep things civil as we came to our rooms. "Sorry, I just remembered; I need to clarify my English essay so I don't screw it up."

"Go for it," Marcia said, and I gave her a thankful smile as I quickly tossed my suitcase on my bed, before sprinting back through the hall and down the stairs. As I ran, I prayed Miss Ainsworth would be in a better mood; since Ellis had been there the day she'd told us the truth about Casey's parentage, he stood in a perfect position to betray both Miss Ainsworth and Casey. And there was no telling how Jane and Kenneth would react. Not to mention how Miss Ainsworth herself would feel. I had to cut off Ellis at the pass, so to speak, and if that meant driving a further wedge between us, then that was how it had to be. 

And it wasn't like he hadn't driven the first one in good and deep.