✞ 𝔡𝔬𝔰 ✞

*listen to the song*

CHAPTER TWO
THE BEAUTY OF PAIN

――――

"Let me help you fulfill what you want in life—since you already have a few of that."

――――

HE REMEMBERS HOW HE DIED THAT NIGHT. His mother, Rei, was by his bedside and the tears falling from her eyes were already enough to fill buckets. The male could not move his body and the IVs attached to his body were too plentiful to count. Only 16 years old but his body was semi-burned by the fire that their school building had caught. Instead of leaving the building, he had helped other students get out safely, causing him to get crushed by burning falling debris. "M-mom..." he calls out to her, a soft gaze landing upon him as his mother lets out a shaky breath. "...Am I going to die?"

Rei, unsure of her answer, shrugged her shoulders and shook her head, not wanting to think about the possibility. The male, however, lets out a small chuckle, giving a small grunt as he tried to take in a deep gasp. "Just hang in there, okay, Touya?" she says while gently running her fingers through his scarlet hair. "Your siblings would be waiting for you... she'll be waiting for you..." her sobs were becoming more and more uncontrollable. "I know, mom but... I don't think I can hold on any longer..." his voice was low and he could feel his eyes fluttering themselves close. "It hurts... so much..."

The Death assigned to him watched from a distance, clutching on to their own chest, tears running down their face. For the Deaths easily affected by emotions, the only best thing to do was to look away and so his Death did. "Touya?" was the last thing he heard coming from his mother's mouth before his heart rate monitor flat lined. The people in the room started getting busier as Rei called for nurses and doctors for help. But cold realization hit her when Touya was being revived by a defibrillator only to know that her son was truly dead.

Touya had left them.

His Death walked closer to him, grabbing the hand of his soul while he sat up, a sad look on his face. "You look sad..." Death commented. "I just didn't get to say goodbye properly," Touya responded, a sad expression present on his face. "I'm scared they won't miss me..." Death looked at the younger male before giving a sigh, patting his head. "Don't worry... they will miss you..." Touya's turquoise eyes looked up at Death and squinted. "How can you say so?"

"Mortals usually do... they only realize it when it's too late."

――――

"HELLO? EARTH TO DABI?"

(Your name) was sitting on her bed while a nurse taking off her IVs. She was tilting her head, observing the male who had been staring out her hospital room window for a few minutes. When Dabi was still staring out, the female had given a rather loud sigh, her lips forming into a pout. "Alright, it seems whatever it is outside that window is more interesting than I am..." Dabi then whipped his head towards (your name), a smirk tugged on his lips. "Jealous much?" he shook his head, a smile finally present on his face as he walks closer to her, a backpack in his arms.