▎chapter twelve

The girl sat with her back to the world, a cup of sweetened milk tea in her hand as she rocked her legs back and forth

The girl sat with her back to the world, a cup of sweetened milk tea in her hand as she rocked her legs back and forth. It was a day unusually dry for the monsoon season, the darkening lilac sky stretched practically cloudless over her head.

Light pollution meant that the city's stars wouldn't be visible again that night. They hadn't been for a long time now. Sighing lightly, she leaned back a little.

This place—the abandoned stretch of railway that had been the start of a now abandoned project—was her own safe space. She remembered all the times she had spent here, as a child, laughing and playing hide-and-seek.

Those were the times she missed most. Back then, they'd all said growing up would be great. But time and age had only brought the people she cared about away from her, and torn her own happiness from her outstretched hands.

Liars, she thought. She missed them.

How did we even get here?

Im Haeun didn't appear like it, but her life wasn't the smoothest sailing. At school, all she was known for was her social media account and adoration for a boy she had lost. And in the bedroom of her parents' mansion, all she was reduced to under all her makeup and bright smiles was a little child. Bent under the pressure of a thousand expectations, her head constantly shoved under by stress.

She knew she wasn't alone, and it was selfish to think she was. Choi Jisu, one of the smartest girls in their grade, was somehow still friends with her, despite all her stupid antics. Sometimes even Haeun was amazed at her incredible patience.

But there were some things not even Jisu could know. She would never understand.

Placing the cup back on the concrete ledge next to her, Haeun raked a hand through her hair, the sounds of footsteps behind her slowing.

"Sit down."

He ignored her. "Why did you call me, Haeun?"

She patted the place next to her, repeating, "Sit down."

"If you insist." A low, heavy sigh escaping his lips, he slowly eased himself down into a sitting position. Casting a sideways glance at her, he muttered, "Y0u're drinking those again, it's not good for your health."

"Like I care." Haeun scoffed, then her attitude shifted. "Listen, I think...something's off with Jimin."

"Huh?" He raised his eyebrows in surprise, lips parting, "What do you mean, something's off?"

She shrugged. "I'm not sure, but I can feel it. Something's just not right with his energy—I don't know how to explain—"

He cut her off. "Maybe it's about time you stopped obsessing over him. I know him, Haeun, and he's flattered but he doesn't return your feelings."