𝐕

THE afternoon before the wedding day, my family moved out of the Mandarin Oriental and headed for the Styles mansion in the Hamptons. It was a huge building inspired by Italian palazzos surrounded by almost three acres of park-like grounds. The driveway was long and winding, and led past four double garages and two guesthouses until it ended in front of the mansion with its white front and red shingled roof. White marble statues stood at the base of the double staircase leading up to the front door.

Inside, coffered ceilings, white marble columns and floors, and a view of the bay and the long pool through the panorama windows took my breath away. Harry's father and stepmother led us toward the second floor of the left wing where our bedrooms were situated.

Gianna and I insisted on sharing a room. I didn't care if it made us look immature. I needed her at my side. From the window we could watch how the workers began setting up the huge pavilion that would serve as church tomorrow. Beyond it the ocean churned. Harry wouldn't arrive until the next day so we couldn't cross paths by accident before the wedding, which would mean bad luck. I honestly didn't know how I could have any more bad luck than I already had.

***

"Today's the day!" Mother said with fake cheer.

I dragged myself out of bed. Gianna pulled the blankets over her head, grumbling something about it being too early.

Mother sighed. "I can't believe you shared a room like five year olds."

"Someone had to make sure Harry didn't sneak in," Gianna said from beneath the blanket.

"Umberto patrolled the corridor."

"As if he would protect Aria from Harry," Gianna muttered, finally sitting up. Her red hair was a mess.

Mother pursed her lips. "Your sister doesn't need protection from her husband."

Gianna snorted, but Mother ignored her and ushered me into the bathroom. "We have to get you ready. The Beautician will be here any second. Grab a quick shower."

As the hot water poured down on me, realization set in. This was it, the day I'd been dreading for so long. Tonight I'd be Aria Styles, wife to the future Capo dei Capi, and former virgin. I leaned against the shower cabin. I wished I were like other brides. I wished I could enjoy this day. I wished I didn't have to look forward to my wedding night with trepidation, but I'd learned a long time ago that wishing didn't change a thing.

When I stepped out of the shower, I felt cold. Even my fluffy bathrobe couldn't stop my shivering. Someone knocked and Gianna entered with a cup and a bowl in her hand. "Coffee and fruit salad. Apparently you aren't allowed to have pancakes because it could cause bloating. What bullshit."

I took the coffee but shook my head at the food. "I'm not hungry."

"You can't go all day without eating or you'll faint when you walk down the aisle." She paused. "Though, on second thought, I'd love to see Harry's face when you do."

I sipped at the coffee, then took the bowl from Gianna and ate a few pieces of banana. I really didn't want to faint. Father would be furious, and Harry probably wouldn't be too happy about it either.

"The beautician has arrived with her entourage. You could think they need to prettify an army of fishwives."

I smiled weakly. "Let's not make them wait."

Gianna's worried gaze followed me as I walked into the bedroom, where Lily and my mother were already waiting with the three beauticians. They began their work at once, waxing our legs and armpits. When I thought the torture was over, the Beautician asked. "Bikini zone? Do you know what your husband prefers?"